Would it be worthwhile to study the NBME practice items?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keeping-it-real

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Aside from taking forms 1-4 as a test, would it be a worthwhile use of time to look all the answers up and try to get 'very familiar' with those 800 or so questions? Does the real test mimic the breakdown of these practice items in regards to content stratification and question difficulty/type?

thx.

-kir

Members don't see this ad.

I've been thinking about that too, and I think it would be a great idea.

I've heard people say that they get 1-2 questions directly from NBME, which would be a small incentive to study; a much bigger incentive would be to understand the depth and breadth of material that they expect you to learn.

I am taking my time going over the exams and am finding it very rewarding.

Since the scores on the NBME's tend to be the most accurate predictors of actual performance, then I would also venture to guess that the difficulty, breakdown, and even type of questions are extremely similar to the real thing.

keeping-it-real said:
Aside from taking forms 1-4 as a test, would it be a worthwhile use of time to look all the answers up and try to get 'very familiar' with those 800 or so questions? Does the real test mimic the breakdown of these practice items in regards to content stratification and question difficulty/type?

thx.

-kir

Question -- when you buy one of the tests, is it downloaded to your computer, or is it 100% online? Can you go back over the questions later, or only right after you take it? I'm taking one this weekend and need to know how much time to allot that day. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rbrav said:
Question -- when you buy one of the tests, is it downloaded to your computer, or is it 100% online? Can you go back over the questions later, or only right after you take it? I'm taking one this weekend and need to know how much time to allot that day. Thanks.
only online, but after you take the test, there is a link floating around here where you can d/l all the released items by subject.

and you cannot go back over them unless you do it in "tutor" mode. once you complete the test, it gives you your feedback (but doesn't tell you which ones you got wrong), and then you cannot go back to it unless you pay another $45 for a new one.

keeping-it-real said:
only online, but after you take the test, there is a link floating around here where you can d/l all the released items by subject.

and you cannot go back over them unless you do it in "tutor" mode. once you complete the test, it gives you your feedback (but doesn't tell you which ones you got wrong), and then you cannot go back to it unless you pay another $45 for a new one.

you mean you buy a 45$ test but you never know what the right answers are? :confused:

keeping-it-real said:

you mean you buy a 45$ test but you never know what the right answers are? :confused:

brwneyes said:
this is correct (well...unless you consider writing down the questions and looking them up afterwards).

i don't believe the NBME tests were released with the intent of giving practice questions. i believe they were more to help students evaluate their "readiness" level and point out general problem areas... just my thoughts.

I only took NBME 3.

I had no repeats.

It was, however, a very good indicator of depth and breadth. Really emphasized the need to know the how and why of everything. And for really significant diseases, the how and why of the how and why.

lord_jeebus said:
I only took NBME 3.

I had no repeats.

It was, however, a very good indicator of depth and breadth. Really emphasized the need to know the how and why of everything. And for really significant diseases, the how and why of the how and why.
so would you recommend trying to study those questions? let's say you had three days of studying left and all you did for those three days was look up the answers to those questions and learn the details, would that be a wise or unwise decision?

keeping-it-real said:
so would you recommend trying to study those questions? let's say you had three days of studying left and all you did for those three days was look up the answers to those questions and learn the details, would that be a wise or unwise decision?

1) I took form 2 and the free practice test.

2) I had a total of about 5 questions repeated on my real test.

3) spending three days looking up "details" is not wise at all. concepts and applied knowledge are key for the boards. details are good too, but don't kill yourself on bull**** nothingness.

4) even if you were to try to study the answers to 800 questions: 3 days on that? dude if you have that much time available, take your test now. you're ready.

5) I think nbme tests are worth it to see where you stand overall and to identify weaknesses. use the results to guide broader study strategies. it's a more high-yield approach than trying to remember all ths random details.

keeping-it-real said:

I think it would be unwise given your time frame. I would spend an hour or two looking up things that your gut says are important.