Would it be right to get a t-shirt that said

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crossurfingers

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
"Real men marry doctors" for my boyfriend? I saw it at the osteopathic med school's fund raiser table and I wanted to get it but technically I'll be a doctor of pharmacy, but not a doctor of medicine (aka a real doctor). Would it be stupid for me to get it?

And this whole thing has got me thinking about pharmacists (PharmD's) that work in the hospital setting rounding with doctors and making recommendations. Do physicians address them as Dr. ?

Members don't see this ad.

I think the t-shirt is a personal choice... I wouldn't get it even if I was in med school, but thats just me. They are constantly selling t-shirts at our school, some I find funny, others I don't. If you like the shirt and think your boyfriend would like it, then I say go for it! :)

I wouldn't so much worry about the doctor title thing though, since you will technically be a doctor and rightfully deserve the title. From everything I've seen so far on our site visits, the PharmD's are called "Doctor" in hospital settings (especially when being addressed professionally).

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't get it...
Here is a sample convo b/w your boyfriend and your boyfriend's friend:

your boyfriends friend: So, u're leaving ur girlfriend for a doctor?

your boyfriend: No, when my gf graduates she'll be a doctor

your boyfriends friend: She's not in pharmacy school anymore, she's in medical school now?

your boyfriend: NO, pharmacists are also called Doctors now-a-days...it's called a PharmD

your boyfriends friend:Oh, okay

crossurfingers said:
"Real men marry doctors" for my boyfriend? I saw it at the osteopathic med school's fund raiser table and I wanted to get it but technically I'll be a doctor of pharmacy, but not a doctor of medicine (aka a real doctor). Would it be stupid for me to get it?

And this whole thing has got me thinking about pharmacists (PharmD's) that work in the hospital setting rounding with doctors and making recommendations. Do physicians address them as Dr. ?

If it appeals to you...girl, get it. Don't mind what people have to say. My aunt and uncle are Pharmacists(Pharm D's) and they are addressed as "Dr" even in the community pharmacy...professors with PHD's are addressed as "Dr's", it's not a big deal wether you are a Dr of Med, Pharm or Dent...as long as you earned your Doctorate...you are entitled to the title..so in essence...most people with Pharm D's are referred to as "Dr" as far as I know.....chao :D

you'll be as much of a doctor as an MD/DO.

like it? get it.

We've been going out for 5 yrs... we're practically engaged, just waiting til school's over for the both of us.

Now that I think of it, he wouldn't wear it (he doesn't think I should be called Dr.), but I still like it. I might get it for myself.

OoShimmeroO said:
I wouldn't get it...

your boyfriends friend: She's not in pharmacy school anymore, she's in medical school now?

your boyfriend: NO, pharmacists are also called Doctors now-a-days...it's called a PharmD

Personally I wouldn't care what anyone says. We are always trying to conform. I would be quite comfortable explaining to the ignorant.

OoShimmeroO said:
I wouldn't get it...

So where's the problem?

crossurfingers said:

I'm currently on a rotation in a NICU where the clinical pharmacist rounds with the medical team every morning and noone addresses each other as "doctor" except to the attending. I dont even call the residents "doctor" either. kinda nice :)