Would it be okay to ask a nearby DO school for a possible list of doctors to shadow?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fran_mon

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I recently moved to another state so I am not so familiar with the area. But my first choice school is an hour away. I still need a physician letter for my application and could not get one because the last doctor I shadowed was three years ago. Would it be okay to ask the school to see if they could provide me with a list of doctors with whom they have a connection so I can ask them about shadowing and obtaining a letter from them? Thanks for any advice on asking physicians for shadowing or for a letter!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see an issue with this however you may have better luck reaching out to specific physicians through email or cold calling them.

Normally the medical school will have a list of faculty on their website. Check and see.

In my experience, pediatric physicians seem to be more receptive to shadowing.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m not sure a school would have a prepared list but there’s nothing wrong with asking.

I went to an urgent care clinic where I knew a lot of DOs worked and asked if any of the physicians were open to having student shadow at the front desk. Brought a CV just in case they wanted to make sure I wasn’t a nut. The receptionist gave me a number to call and said their clinic had students shadow all the time.

Didn’t end up following through bc I got a hook up with a DO plastic surgeon who was supposedly a big deal.

All goes to say, cold calling works in my experience.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you all for the suggestions! I am going to cold call some places and see!