Would I have any chance @ Harvard Extension with 3.23 UG GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leg0

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have strong upward trend in my final2 years. First 2 years I had health issues and my mother had a cancer scare.. it was really rough. There was also the issue of whether I'd be able to stay in the US... it was a rough time and it was my own fault for leting all the issues get to me.

However, I did a LOT better in final 2 years and my major GPA (not counting the humanities requirements) is a 3.45. It isn't great but I got mostly A's and some B+ in my 300/400 level CS and IS classes.

Now I am aware that HES isn't Harvard lol.. but is it just as competitive as getting into Harvard? Would someone like me have a shot of getting an interview or even an acceptance?

I have a lot of great LORs from my professors and my volunteer experience is decent (270+ hrs @ hospital, for example).

I read the post-bacc FAQ on this site and it listed HES post bacc in the top east programs.

What other programs are there that you would recommend for me? I live in NJ and would like to get a decent education without breaking the bank. I can't afford columbia post bacc, for example. However, are there any other programs like HES that are not too expensive?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe. If you email the program director, he'll give you a candid answer. You can take classes without being accepted into anything but the real reason we attend is for the committee letter, which requires submitting an application to be accepted into the Health Careers Program. You'll also be eligible for financial aid for one year when you're accepted. I know that there are other post-bacc programs that will offer full-on financial aid as well as linkages, but they tend to be much tougher to get into.

Thanks for the reply friend.

You mentioned linkages. From what I gather looking online and from your reply, it seems HES medical path program has no linkage. However, is it true most people regard HES classes to be good? Let me phrase it another way. If I take the required coursework for MCAT/med school from Rutgers, a NJ state college, how well would I fare against someone who completed the HES program? Would I have an decent (30% or better) shot at getting into a top 30 or 40 med school?

I'm a complete novice at this stage and I apologize for my lack of knowledge.

Members don't see this ad :)
[deleted.. sorry for accidental spam.. my browser froze :<]

Last edited:

Last edited:

Last edited:
So HES is definitely not your only option, depending on exactly what you're looking for. Some of the smaller more competitive programs on the east coast (Goucher, Bryn Mawr, Hopkins) will give you a committee letter, offer all of the required courses in a 1-year timeframe, advise you HEAVILY, and offer various linkage opportunities.

A few caveats though: The programs I mentioned are all pretty competitive and completely full time, as compared to HES which I think you can take classes on a non-fulltime basis, though not 100% on that. I don't necessarily think taking the classes at Harvard Extension is going to give you an admissions advantage vs. taking the classes at Rutgers. Rutgers is well known and as long as the courses are not at a community college, it's a perfectly viable option. Keep in mind, however, that you are going to want/need letters of recommendation from ~2 science faculty from your premed classes and a giant class at Rutgers may not be the best way to get those. I also doubt you could get a committee letter from Rutgers if you do a DIY postbac there vs. other programs where it is a certainty. Best of luck.

SS

Thank you SS (Snape!!! lol).

Appreciate the advice. My question is whether I have a shot at any of those programs with my 3.23 UG GPA. My last 2 years had strong upward trend of basically all A's and a few B+'s. First 2 years were rough but I did my best in final 2 yrs.

Also why do these programs want to know my SAT score? I did all right on SATs (2150) but idk why they want to know that score from 5 years ago!!!

Yeah my SAT scores were oldddd as well. I think the rationale is that for a lot of people, there's no other standardized test scores to use for comparison and that *supposedly* SAT scores are correlated somewhat with MCAT scores. I don't buy it but I've had a number of people mention it. Your score seems pretty good (I took the SAT back when there were only 1600 points possible!) so I wouldn't fret too much about that, it should help your application, not hurt it.

The GPA is on the lower side, yeah, but it sounds like maybe you can justify it without sounding like you're making excuses. Even if they are excuses you don't want them to sound as such. I figure you probably want someone to say you'll definitely be fine or you shouldn't even bother... but ultimately no one is going to be able to make that assessment. Beef up your application as best you can and your GPA will matter less. Again, best of luck!

SS

Thanks again.

I found a few programs through the official site that are post-bacc premed. Is this what I should focus on?

I looked at the low GPA thread here but it is mostly people with below 3.0, mostly in the mid 2.0s. Would I have a better shot with my 3.23 even though though it is still "low"?

Another question. You mentioned committee letter. What about people who do a DIY post bacc? Do they get a committee letter?

And another question... sorry. I don't fully understand linkages. Let's say, hypothetically, that I go to Rutgers post bacc which has linkages to 2 NJ med schools. If I absolutely kill the courses and get a decent score on MCAT, do I have to go to those 2 schools? Can I apply elsewhere?

Last edited: