Would I get a merit scholarship anywhere? Should I apply outside TX? 3.67 cGPA, 3.55 sGPA, 34 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DragonSalad

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Here are my quick stats:
TX resident
Asian
3.67 cGPA, 3.55 sGPA
34 (515) MCAT
Great research with poster awards
1 Research pub probably submitted but not published before interviews
Extensive clinical experience (part-time 911 ALS EMT through undergrad)
Okay/decent LORs
Will be taking a gap year - probably do research, EMS employment, travel, and personal hobbies (any other ideas appreciated too).

Basically I am applying to all TX schools + Baylor. But, I am honestly tired of TX would really like to consider leaving the state IF:
1) I would get into a highly prestigious top ~10-15 school, which may be worth the extra cost in my opinion.
2) I would get a large scholarship/grant somewhere (low/mid tier?) that would make up for the extra cost from going OOS.
3) I would get into a OOS public medical school, pay OOS tuition for 1 year, then in-state tuition for 3 years after establishing residency.

I understand in terms of getting into medical school, TX is as good as it gets, but I do think I would be happier with a change of scenery - as long as it is more or less financially prudent.

With that said, I want to ask:
How likely is option (1)? How likely is option (2)? Are there any states/schools conducive to option (3)? And overall, are there any schools that seem my fit based on my stats?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You are from a favourable state and many schools will assume you will stay in-state. Options 1/2 are very unlikely but if there is no financial pressure, apply your heart out and see what happens in this crazy process. Your MCAT is fine but GPA is below average particularly for Asians; use the MSAR to find some OOS schools where your stats fall above the median (i.e. low tier schools) if you want to go OOS.

Why would you get a merit scholarship?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I thought there was some chance of a merit scholarship at a lower-tier school. Mostly because of my extensive EMS experience (I'm talking 30+ hours per week for 3 years) - not just shadowing paramedics either, I eventually was cleared by the EMS medical director to run calls alone.

But I'm assuming now because of my GPA the chances of a merit scholarship are slim to none?

unlikely to end up in top 15 schools with your GPA. your MCAT is below average for top schools also.
not sure about OOS - maybe state schools like Wayne State would want you as a Texan for some diversity in the class, but you will be paying full OOS tuition 4 years there. from my experience applying, merit money should be expected only if you're 1. URM, 2. extremely high stat scoring with unique experiences (I'm talking like 38+ and 4.0 for schools like Drexel or NYMC) 3. disadvantaged financially

I guess I thought there was some chance of a merit scholarship at a lower-tier school. Mostly because of my extensive EMS experience (I'm talking 30+ hours per week for 3 years) - not just shadowing paramedics either, I eventually was cleared by the EMS medical director to run calls alone.

But I'm assuming now because of my GPA the chances of a merit scholarship are slim to none?
this is good clinical experience, but it's usually not rewarded with scholarship money. Schools will teach you clinical medicine in their own way.

I really don't understand why everyone on SDN is so cynical, your stats are pretty good, if you apply wide you're more than capable of getting into some great programs out of Texas. Contrary to the opinions so far there are people at Top 10 schools w/GPAs around yours, and your MCAT score is very very good. If you can shell out the $$$ apply to like 20-25 schools out of the Texas application process and definitely expect some interviews (also definitely use MSAR).

***EDIT: I literally know a person going to a top school with similar stats as you, granted it's not the norm, but if you apply to enough places you're more than likely to end up somewhere that fits your needs.

I really don't understand why everyone on SDN is so cynical, your stats are pretty good, if you apply wide you're more than capable of getting into some great programs out of Texas. Contrary to the opinions so far there are people at Top 10 schools w/GPAs around yours, and your MCAT score is very very good. If you can shell out the $$$ apply to like 20-25 schools out of the Texas application process and definitely expect some interviews (also definitely use MSAR).

it's fine to apply, but if you're Asian + below average GPA + below average MCAT + "okay LORs" aiming for top 15, I have some bad news for you...

***EDIT: I literally know a person going to a top school with similar stats as you, granted it's not the norm, but if you apply to enough places you're more than likely to end up somewhere that fits your needs.
It's not cynicism, it's stats. Only 215 Texans matriculated OOS, 1,411 stayed home. I'll bet many of them had financial inducements. Compare this to CA where only 910 got to stay home and 1,528 had to leave.
We don't interview applicants from TX unless we have a strong reason to believe they will turn down their always cheaper and often better state schools.

Reactions: 2 users

Those people are extraordinary in some way beyond stats. OP is not.

Reactions: 1 user
Looks like I am just applying in TX + Baylor.

One thing that no one commented on is:
3) I would get into a OOS public medical school, pay OOS tuition for 1 year, then in-state tuition for 3 years after establishing residency.

Any thoughts on that?

Those people are extraordinary in some way beyond stats. OP is not.

All-in-all it looks like I am a pretty average applicant. The one thing that may(?) set me apart is I led a collegiate EMS service, training ~100 EMTs, improving the program greatly, and winning a couple of national awards for our service. Edit: But again, it is hard to assess how good this really is relative to other applicants, who may have led their own student organizations and so on.

Looks like I am just applying in TX + Baylor.

One thing that no one commented on is:

Any thoughts on that?
Ohio is one state that allows students to establish residency and pay in-state tuition for years 2-4 of med school. There may be other states.

MSAR lists if you can establish residency as a student.

It can be done for some states but not others. For example, Vermont states you cannot establish residency (so pay almost twice as much in tuition).

I also agree that your chances at getting into a top 15 school/getting a merit scholarship are really really low. Your stats/EC are pretty average all around - I'd be more concerned about getting into any medical school first, since I know several people from my undergrad with similar stats/ECs who ended up waitlisted/rejected everywhere.

Of anything on your application, I would say your GPA is hurting you the most for options 1/2.

I also agree that your chances at getting into a top 15 school/getting a merit scholarship are really really low. Your stats/EC are pretty average all around - I'd be more concerned about getting into any medical school first, since I know several people from my undergrad with similar stats/ECs who ended up waitlisted/rejected everywhere.

Of anything on your application, I would say your GPA is hurting you the most for options 1/2.

Agreed. Though I think my ECs and MCAT are above average for TX state schools, based on others I know who were accepted here. But yes my GPA does pull me down.