Would getting rejected from ED hurt me as a reapplicant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shen_qingqiu

Reaction score
I’m considering applying early decision to my state school this upcoming cycle, but I’m worried that if I get rejected it would be a red flag when I reapply. In summary, I’m not confident about getting into the other schools in my state but I have a lot of connections to this one (currently attending their undergrad, lots of family and friends nearby).

I feel like I have an ok application:
  • 511 MCAT (125/129/126/131)
  • 3.7 gpa
  • 2000+ hrs research (1 first author pub, 1 middle author pub)
  • 200 hrs clinical volunteering (Emergency department and hospice)
  • 0 shadowing (believe me I tried)
  • Lots of other work experience
Some obvious red flags are the shadowing and the lack of clinical hours, but, I know that this school really values research. A couple of people I know have been suggesting I apply anyways, and since I would 100% want to attend my state school I thought it would be worthwhile to give it a go.

Is it worth the risk? If getting rejected would make it harder for me to reapply I’m fine with just taking a second gap year to boost my app. As it stands now I’m going to continue working in my research lab, volunteering, and trying to get a cert to work as an EMT or MA after graduation.

Members don't see this ad.

Contact the school before applying Early Decision.
You need to get a strong signal from them to continue this path.
The timing of the decision puts you at a disadvantage if not accepted.

How do your stats compare to matriculants?

Reactions: 3 users
Contact the school before applying Early Decision.
You need to get a strong signal from them to continue this path.
The timing of the decision puts you at a disadvantage if not accepted.

How do your stats compare to matriculants?
I tried contacting Adcom but they essentially said they couldn't help me. My GPA is the same but my MCAT is about 3 points lower.

I tried contacting Adcom but they essentially said they couldn't help me. My GPA is the same but my MCAT is about 3 points lower.
If you did not get a response from the ADCOM, along with not being the median scores the schools accepts, I would put your plans to apply ED in the trash can and just do RD. Way too big of a risk without communication with the school.

Edit- I just read more of the OP. Add on that you have self admitted red flags, I really would not risk it on an ED. ED seems to be for borderline perfect applicants who would go to that school no matter what. It's not for the average applicant to apply in hopes that it will boost their chances, that's a route for disappointment and reapplication.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
To be successful with an early decision application, you have to be a super-attractive applicant that would be at the top of the school's list under any circumstances and at the top of many other schools' lists, too. The school you apply to will be happy to lock you in rather than lose you to a "better" school. However, if you aren't the greatest applicant of the year, you are not likely to be admitted early decision. Then you are, essentially, too late to be considered anywhere else and so you lose a whole year.

Just apply regular to your state schools and other schools where you are a good fit.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users