Would being a Union Delegate hinder my chances to get into a great med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Would being a Union Delegate hinder acceptance to Med Schools?

• Total voters

DansStudentDocRole

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
To Whom It May Concern:

Hi. I'm premed. I'm a college senior. I work as a NY hospital nurse attenant and I'm about to become a Union Delegate (healthcare insurance Workers pay organization). Would being a Union Delegate hinder my chances into getting accepted into a medical school? I ask because I wonder if it would bind me to some organization which is contrary to the medical school. Or if being a delegate would require me as a commitment to do certain things even while in medical school? Or would being a delegate be bad for Medical school because delegates pledges / gets sworned into a situation where it wouldn't be looked well upon medical school?

Would being a Union Delegate require me to support things that medical schools don't like?

Please let me know because I am about to get the Union Delegate position while working in a hospital as a nurse assistant before medical school. I still haven't applied to any schools.

My mcat score is still pending.
My GPA is 2.5
My patient care experience is 8 years.
My volunteer experience is 8 years.

Members don't see this ad.

No, but unless this is a typo, this will be your problem.

I know. Anyone with a low GPA, should get it higher or substitute it with a high MCAT score along with a lot of patient care experience. Or might have to settle and go to a Caribbean school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't go carrib....at all. Raise the gpa, using the DO system with retakes and grade forgiveness is the fastest way. You need it in the 3.2ish range (some might look at a 3.0)

The union thing doesn't matter really

Reactions: 1 users
"Hi. I'm premed."

The troll hits us with our least favorite phrase!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
It's really careless to post so much info and your face on SDN. Please remove your face from SDN. Please, for all of our sake.

I kno. Anyone with a low GPA, should get it higher or substitute it with a high MCAT score along with a lot of patient care experience. Or might have to settle and go to a Caribbean school.

NOoooooOOooOoOooOOo! Don't go to the Caribbean! Whatever you do!

I personally know people who gave up on getting the stats up where they needed to be for a legitimate US school, and ended up going tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars into debt, wasting a year or more of their life, and ruining all hope of ever getting into a decent school... all because they tried the off shore short cut.

Those schools know that there are Americans with the potential to take out huge student loans, who are desperate to become physicians. So, they charge as much as they can to as many students as are willing to pay. They also know that they don't have the rotation sites available to train those students in 3rd and 4th years, so they actually plan to fail out as many as they need to so that the ones that are left will have sites. So, if you go, you may have as much as a 50+% chance of being failed out because that is how the school is set up to work. Even if you survive the next two years and graduate, you may have as low as a 50% chance to obtain a residency... without which you cannot be licensed to practice medicine in the United States.

I have previously compared it to going into debt to buy a $300,000 lottery ticket that gives you only a 1 in 4 chance to win a career in medicine. It might sound very romantic to say that the opportunity, however slim, is worth any price. Bet you won't say that, though, if you are one of the 3 out of 4 who lose, and come back the the States financially ruined and in defeat. That doesn't even take into account that opportunities for Carib grads are dwindling, due to the ACGME/AOA merger and the increasing number of US grads. Many residency programs take IMGs only as a last resort, if they have any seats unfilled by US MD/DO grads, so your options are limited to mostly those residencies that no one else wants.

By contrast, if you start at a US school, you have like a 95% chance to finish and become a physician. One with a lot more choice of specialty and training location.

You can retake some courses at community college, on the cheap, and do grade replacement so that you can apply DO. Every D or F that you retake and replace with an A will make a noticeable difference in your GPA. If you devoted one year or less of focus to raising that stat, you'd have a reasonable chance of getting into a US school. It is absolutely within your reach. Please don't give up on yourself or sell yourself short. Just do the hard thing and put in the work to get your application where it needs to be.

Reactions: 2 users
Union delegate won't, GPA will.
Grade replacement + high MCAT + solid ECs + good rec letters = DO School.
Good luck.
Username is suspect.

OP has a really odd way of garnering advice. It looks like he goes around to totally unrelated threads, finds med students and tries to randomly hit them up for advice about volunteering and shadowing, followed by a weird bible verse.

OP has a really odd way of garnering advice. It looks like he goes around to totally unrelated threads, finds med students and tries to randomly hit them up for advice about volunteering and shadowing, followed by a weird bible verse.
Even more reason not to post his photo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
Would being a Union Delegate require me to support things that medical schools don't like?

No, but having your face as your avi does