Would Be Philippine Dental Grad's (DMD) to Practice in the USA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GeoWonder

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am a 1st year dental student (of a four-year DMD program) at Our Lady of Fatima University in the Philippines. I would like some clarification and information on the prospects of practicing dentistry in the USA. I am a US citizen.

I have inquired with a friend (also American) and the route to licensure in the US is by taking the NBDE and then completing an advanced standing program in the USA before licensure.

Is this correct, or are there more steps between graduating with a DMD and licensure?

Thank you so much for the help! It is hugely appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,
I am a 1st year dental student (of a four-year DMD program) at Our Lady of Fatima University in the Philippines. I would like some clarification and information on the prospects of practicing dentistry in the USA. I am a US citizen.

I have inquired with a friend (also American) and the route to licensure in the US is by taking the NBDE and then completing an advanced standing program in the USA before licensure.

Is this correct, or are there more steps between graduating with a DMD and licensure?

Thank you so much for the help! It is hugely appreciated.

that's correct.

i graduated dentistry from the philippines and also an american citizen. right now im about to prep for nbde part 1 for may. ive waited 4 years and forgot most of the stuff i learned in dental school. ADVICE: take nbde part 1 right after your 2nd year in dental school. take it while everything's still fresh in your brain! lmao