Would any of these majors look bad?

nysegop

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would any of these majors look bad when applying to medical school?

BA/BS in Computer Science
BA in Asian Studies with a minor (Probably minor in Biology)
BA in Geography
BA/BS in Psychology
BS in Neuroscience
BA in Political Science

Would any of these be bad? I know _____ studies are notoriously easy, but I am really interested in the Asian people and their cultures. I am considering working in an impoverished Asian country if I become a doctor. As for computer science, I am really good with computers and have been programming since I was 12. Yes I know, I'm a nerd. :cool: Geography: I have always been a geography nut. I aced all of my geography tests in middle and high school. Psychology: people interest me, I have always been fascinated with the human mind. Neuroscience: same as psychology but more on the scientific side. Political science: public health?

Note: If I was to major in a BA major, I would also have a minor due to low credit requirements for Bachelors of Arts. Possibly double major...

Any thoughts?

Here are a few situations I'm thinking about:
BA in Asian Studies with a double minor in Biology and Computer Science. or
BA in Biology with a minor in computer science or Asian studies. or
BA in Computer science with a minor in biology or asian studies.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter what you major in as long as you do the premed prereqs. I see you covered about half the majors possible at college. If you managed to do all of them in 4 years, now that would be impressive. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure you could major satan worship studies if you wanted to as long as you have good GPA, MCAT and ECs.

I'm pretty sure you could major satan worship studies if you wanted to as long as you have good GPA, MCAT and ECs.

How did you figure that out? That has been my intention all along!

It's not a coincidence that you've been told the same thing in every thread you've made about this. Pick a major you like, do well in it and in prereqs, do well on the MCAT, think about what you might want to do if you decide against medicine. You're gonna be fine. :thumbup:

Although it might be a challenge to get into Creighton, Loma Linda, etc. With that particular major.

The overwhelming sentiment on this forum, as others have already said, is that you can major in whatever you'd like. Assuming you have the GPA, MCAT scores, extracurricular activties, et cetera, you could major in the infamous underwater basket weaving studies and be admitted.
Study what interests you. If the sayings are true, you'll wind up with a much better GPA in the end.

BA/BS in Computer Science
BA in Asian Studies with a minor (Probably minor in Biology)
BA in Geography
BA/BS in Psychology
BS in Neuroscience
BA in Political Science

Would any of these be bad? I know _____ studies are notoriously easy, but I am really interested in the Asian people and their cultures. I am considering working in an impoverished Asian country if I become a doctor. As for computer science, I am really good with computers and have been programming since I was 12. Yes I know, I'm a nerd. :cool: Geography: I have always been a geography nut. I aced all of my geography tests in middle and high school. Psychology: people interest me, I have always been fascinated with the human mind. Neuroscience: same as psychology but more on the scientific side. Political science: public health?

Note: If I was to major in a BA major, I would also have a minor due to low credit requirements for Bachelors of Arts. Possibly double major...

Any thoughts?

Here are a few situations I'm thinking about:
BA in Asian Studies with a double minor in Biology and Computer Science. or
BA in Biology with a minor in computer science or Asian studies. or
BA in Computer science with a minor in biology or asian studies.

From the sound of other posters in this thread it sounds like you don't want to hear "major in whatever you want". So I'll give you the answer you're looking for:

Computer Science
Pretty much no relation at all to medicine, but it's one of the few undergrad degrees that can you get you a good job straight out of college which is nice if your plans of medical school don't pan out (they don't for most people; seriously, do realize that by going after med school you're making an enormous gamble since science BS degrees are worthless for anything other than going to grad/med school). If you enjoy technology though and have good logic and math skills this would be a good major to choose.

Asian Studies
Do not do this. Zero job prospects, little relevance to medicine/science, and it has the stigma of being an easy major.

Geography
I know nothing about it.

Psychology
There are two paths to take in psychology: Social science or hard(er) science. Social psych will probably piss you off if you're the kind of person who's in medicine for the science (the social sciences are honestly more like philosophy than actual science). If you do biopsych you may as well just be majoring in neuroscience. Cognitive psych is pretty much the only valid non-bio field in psychology.

Neuroscience
The best major ever, and the best science if only by default of actually studying a natural phenomenon that does stuff on its own and of its own volition instead of reacting purely to external stimuli (I should mention that I have a BS in neuroscience so I may be a bit biased). Gives you the best of both worlds of psychology and biology. Out of the majors you listed this would also be the one that best prepares you for med school, and you'll have to complete most (if not all) of the med school pre-reqs in the process of finishing this degree anyway. The downside is that this degree is worthless as a BS, so if med school doesn't work out for you and you don't want to/can't pursue a PhD career, then you're SOL.

Political Science
Might be worth it if you could envision your back-up career as working for a non-profit. Otherwise, avoid.

If I could go back, I would major in computer science. Do computer science! But a message to all high schoolers out there: it doesn't matter what you major in, as long as you fulfill the pre-reqs and take upper level sciences in addition to your major's courses. Just a fair warning though: if you are not 100% committed to medicine and have a degree in asian studies or psychology, then you will have little to no job prospects at all. Graduate school would be a must, and even then, there would be small prospect of getting a job in the aforementioned majors.