Would another research position be a bad idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fd25

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently have 160 hours clinical volunteering (135 in a hospital and 25 hospice), 275 clinical employment as an EMT-B, and recently got certified as an Advanced EMT, so I have 100 hours of clinical rotation training through that. My goal with the AEMT certification is to get a job as an ER tech to work throughout this application cycle. I interviewed for the position I really want last week, and it seemed to go very well, but I still haven't heard back. This may be because they are very busy, or perhaps it simply won't pan out. Anyhow, I'm looking for backup options.

There aren't many ER tech or similar positions near me, and I really do not want to work on an ambulance again. I am wondering if I should perhaps pursue a clinical research position. What I am concerned about is that I already have over 2000 research hours on my application. I worked as a full time research tech doing bench work and animal work during my first gap year, so if I get another research oriented job now, I don't want to look obsessed with research. I enjoy research in that I find it cool and interesting, and I love to learn more, but working in research very much so reminds me that I want to be at the bedside. I don't want it to come off the wrong way on my applications, i.e. why not PhD instead.

My stats are cGPA 3.63, sGPA 3.56, MCAT 511-->515, so even with the research I am not a competitive applicant for the research-heavy schools.

Other alternative is a non-science or medicine job and then part time medical assistant work (or volunteering) for additional clinical exposure. I just can't work full time as an MA because the wage is far too low in my area to consider given that I have a toddler to raise as well.

Any feedback appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am by no means an expert but at this point, you should not do any more basic science/translation research alone. You do not want adcoms to think that you belong more to the Ph.D. side as you pointed out. Clinical research that involves patient contact may be okay, but if there is patient contact I would put this as paid clinical experience in your app. You could also look into doing scribing/PCT/CNA part-time (one shift every week or every other week) and do the research full time. Just make sure you are doing something clinical if you end up doing basic/translational research. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I am by no means an expert but at this point, you should not do any more basic science/translation research alone. You do not want adcoms to think that you belong more to the Ph.D. side as you pointed out. Clinical research that involves patient contact may be okay, but if there is patient contact I would put this as paid clinical experience in your app. You could also look into doing scribing/PCT/CNA part-time (one shift every week or every other week) and do the research full time. Just make sure you are doing something clinical if you end up doing basic/translational research. Good luck!
Thank you so much for your response! What do you think about doing part time medical assisting/scribe/CNA work as well as part time at some other random job (customer service)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for your response! What do you think about doing part time medical assisting/scribe/CNA work as well as part time at some other random job (customer service)?
I think that would be perfectly fine -- especially if this other job will be financially beneficial to you. At this point, you probably only need some more clinical hours to balance out your app.

I currently have 160 hours clinical volunteering (135 in a hospital and 25 hospice), 275 clinical employment as an EMT-B, and recently got certified as an Advanced EMT, so I have 100 hours of clinical rotation training through that. My goal with the AEMT certification is to get a job as an ER tech to work throughout this application cycle. I interviewed for the position I really want last week, and it seemed to go very well, but I still haven't heard back. This may be because they are very busy, or perhaps it simply won't pan out. Anyhow, I'm looking for backup options.

There aren't many ER tech or similar positions near me, and I really do not want to work on an ambulance again. I am wondering if I should perhaps pursue a clinical research position. What I am concerned about is that I already have over 2000 research hours on my application. I worked as a full time research tech doing bench work and animal work during my first gap year, so if I get another research oriented job now, I don't want to look obsessed with research. I enjoy research in that I find it cool and interesting, and I love to learn more, but working in research very much so reminds me that I want to be at the bedside. I don't want it to come off the wrong way on my applications, i.e. why not PhD instead.

My stats are cGPA 3.63, sGPA 3.56, MCAT 511-->515, so even with the research I am not a competitive applicant for the research-heavy schools.

Other alternative is a non-science or medicine job and then part time medical assistant work (or volunteering) for additional clinical exposure. I just can't work full time as an MA because the wage is far too low in my area to consider given that I have a toddler to raise as well.

Focus on service to others less fortunate than yourself. That's because the most likely medical schools that will accept you will be those that are service loving.

Getting any more research is simply gilding the lily.

You need more clinical exposure and service work than research. And you have to eat. PT paid or volunteer clinical experience/community service while working at something that pays more sounds like a good idea, if you can't find the full-time job that you want.

I hope it pans out for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
You need more clinical exposure and service work than research. And you have to eat. PT or volunteer clinical experience/community service while working at something that pays more sounds like a good idea, if you can't find the full-time job that you want.

I hope it pans out for you.
@Goro @manatee77 thank you all so much for the helpful responses! I have about 70 hours of crisis text line as of right now and will be continuing that through the cycle, plus 15 hours of soup kitchen volunteering.

Given that most of my time currently is going to be spent with some sort of employment plus either part time or volunteer clinical work, do you think that continuing with the crisis text line and not pursuing additional non clinical volunteering on top of that (simply due to not having the time) will put me at a huge disadvantage?

For what it’s worth, I am a reapplicant. I had 3 interviews to 3 waitlists my first time around as a New York resident. I’m a GA resident now, where I’m originally from.

Reactions: 1 users
Soup kitchen volunteering or something similar in-person would be advisable.
That is definitely a good thought. I think I could manage to do that at least twice per month. Thank you!

What I am concerned about is that I already have over 2000 research hours on my application. I worked as a full time research tech doing bench work and animal work during my first gap year, so if I get another research oriented job now, I don't want to look obsessed with research. I enjoy research in that I find it cool and interesting, and I love to learn more, but working in research very much so reminds me that I want to be at the bedside. I don't want it to come off the wrong way on my applications, i.e. why not PhD instead.
Just curious, did you get anything from your research, whether papers or presentations?

Just curious, did you get anything from your research, whether papers or presentations?
I got a great letter from my PI and a publication (not first or second author though).