Would an increase in plasma aldosterone be expected to follow ingestion a lot of NaCl?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nostra_damus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The correct answer is "No; aldosterone causes Na+ reabsorption by kidney tubules."

I think I am confused between the distinction of plasma aldosterone and regular aldosterone. If I'm understanding this correctly, this is the correct answer because aldosterone doesn't cause the NaCl to go into the tubules in the first place? But then what is the point of having plasma aldosterone in the first place, or is there aldosterone in the plasma because it is a steroid so there would be some in the blood stream? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

So if you eat a lot of salt, would you expect your body to release aldosterone? No! The primary purpose of aldosterone is sodium reabsorption. As a result, you retain water and its secondary influence is to increase blood pressure. If your body isn't losing sodium and you eat a meal high in sodium, your body would want to get RID of it, rather than keep more of it.

Not sure what you mean of plasma aldosterone and regular aldoesterone. There is only one; what's released from the adrenal cortex via your blood when you need sodium, or need to retain water, or your blood pressure is low.

Most aldosterone in the blood stream is bound to albumin for transport, but ingesting NaCl may cause secretion of ANP if blood volume/pressure increases