Would a Post-Bacc be beneficial?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MountainClimber94

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone! I am curious to know if whether or not a post-bacc would be appropriate for me. These are my current stats

Undergrad
sGPA: 2.6
cGPA: 2.7

Grad
GPA: 4.0 (after 18 units)...currently taking 8 units this semester and 4 (thesis) units next semester. Will be graduating Spring 2018. My thesis is focused on identifying potential biomarkers for the onset of coronary artery disease. Being able to observe open heart surgery has been by far the best thing about my masters program

I plan to sit for the MCAT sometime late June/early July

I do have shadowing hours (~100 w/ MD and DO), clinical volunteer hours (250), non-clinical volunteer hours (~120), and I have done about 1.5years of pediatric public health research in underserved communities.

So again, I would like to have some feedback on whether or not a SMP, post-bacc, or an informal post-bacc may work in my favor. Or, if one may not even be needed for me.

Members don't see this ad.

You need to do a post-bacc, you need to get you undergrad GPA above a 3.0, and score really well on the MCAT.

Post Bacc would be a good option for you. Keep working on the other side of your application (clinical hours, shadowing, volunteer hours) but you're at a good starting point. Maybe if you can get to 200 shadowing and 200 non-clinical you'll be an excellent position but more can never hurt. Good to see you have a 4.0 in grad work but Post Baccs >>>>>> Grad School so definitely do one of those that have strong linkages to their MD schools and youll be fine. I'm at VCU's right now and I recommend it. Feel free to pm for more info