Would a post bac give me a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jcthoma3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's my situation. My first two years of college were absolutely terrible. But, I have legitimate reasons for this. My dad took his own life when I was 18, and as you can imagine that rattled up my grades for a bit. I ended up getting largely back on track after horrible freshman and sophomore years. My last two years I averaged about a 3.5, although I'm disappointed for my last semester ended with a 3.35. My cumulative GPA upon graduating was a 3.15, which I know is abysmal for trying to get into an allopathic school. My extracurriculars/softs are:

-Employed at the district attorneys office for all 4 years in college
-50 hours volunteering in the ER
-teaching little kids martial arts for a year
- winning 2 state championships in wrestling
-shadowing
-part time job in patient transport at a hospital
-6 months for the USDA in a lab
-MCAT: 33

What is the best option for me? I was thinking about a post bac in physics, which is something I've always been interested in. Do you think I have a shot at getting into an allopathic school if I continue my upward trend for another two semesters? Please give me any suggestions. I really have a fascination with science and think med school is the right place for me. An advice would be great. I'm having a 21 year old pre-midlife crisis.

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you want to get another bachelors in physics, I think with your GPA and MCAT score, you will get accepted into somewhere into a MD SMP. Rock that and you should be golden. But be prepared to do well. Also most SMPs are very expensive...
Read the stickied thread to find out your options.

Thanks man. I've been reading and Tulane has a very good SMP and its not too expensive. Although you have to be wait listed by a medical school first.