Would a Pharm Sci major help prepare for Optometry school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lesept2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need help deciding on whether I should keep my pharm sci major or not. I read that in optometry school, you do take some pharmacology classes so maybe it might help me. Otherwise I can change majors to Spanish and finish undergrad earlier with pre-reqs and apply to optometry school earlier. Would a Pharm sci major be too much info needed for optometry school?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I need help deciding on whether I should keep my pharm sci major or not. I read that in optometry school, you do take some pharmacology classes so maybe it might help me. Otherwise I can change majors to Spanish and finish undergrad earlier with pre-reqs and apply to optometry school earlier. Would a Pharm sci major be too much info needed for optometry school?

Your major doesn't matter. You may have with Pharm for a BIT in school, but Spanish will be MUCH more practical to you when it comes to clinic interactions. Pharm may give you a leg up for 1 or 2 semesters, Spanish will give you a leg up for your entire career as an optometrist. Pharm is always changing, Spanish isn't.

Do the Spanish and get out sooner. Just think of it this way, every extra year that you wait is a year of lost wages as an optometrist.

Spanish Spanish Spanish!

I disagree. Stick with as science based major and you will find optometry school, on the whole, easier. Spanish will not lead you to take physiology or anatomy classes in undergrad and I guarantee you that those will help when you get to OD school. I have a friend who has a language-based degree with me here at SCO and she gets 2000% more frustrated over phys, anatomy, biochem, and neuro than the rest of us. I mean, she took all the prereqs like everyone else, but she just can't seem to get it as easily. The mere exposure to science will be a leg up over the Spanish. Perhaps you can take Spanish as a minor?

You could certainly still do Spanish as a major and get into OD school, it just may be a little tougher because you will only have taken the prerequisites instead of having spent the last 4 years submersed in science.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did only a few more than the pre req sciences in my undergrad
I didnt take anatomy or physiology because I had the thought 'why would i do a class, when im going to do it again in OD school'

that was the wrong attitude, and if I had it to do again I would have at least taken those two extra classes in science.
My first year was a challenge because I didnt have the anatomy/physio experience...and I was hearing it for the first time, whereas my classmates were hearing it for the second or third time.

it was a struggle, but Im still very pleased with the major I chose as an undergrad.

I studied Business Management. I feel that I have the upper-hand on my classmates when ever we plan for our careers after graduation.

I feel I have the upper-hand in many aspects of optometry because of my business background.

I also worked as an optician(lab and dispensing) for 6 years as well as an ophthalmic tech for a year getting experience. That by far has given me an advantage. I have a different thought process when it comes to the didactic work.

my advice is that you major in what ever makes you happy
as long as you do all the prereqs and anatomy/physio..you'll be ok

many times candidates are picked because they are different, because they stand out from the crowd.

If everyone who applies completed a BS in Biology, except you who completed it in Spanish, or Pharm or art for that matter...who is going to stand out..who will they remember

the million biology candidates, or the one who stood out ?

The major doesn't matter. I'm a Spanish major and plan on taking Anatomy/Physio but the important thing is you do well in the pre-reqs. The thing that will give you a leg up in OD school is doing well in those science classes. Another thing is it's better for you to major in something you like and if that happens to be Pharm Sci then great but if you enjoy Spanish more, I would major in that instead.

Last edited:
I would recommend taking physiology/anatomy courses (two separate course of each). I'm very glad that I have that background now before I start opto school. I have friends who are first and second years, and they're all knee-deep in the same anatomy/physio topics from before.