Would a degree in biomedical visualization help me as a plastic surgeon?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

willowdesi

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to anyone who reads this.

I'm a medical student right now and I have been very interested in plastic surgery for a while for a variety of reasons. My love of art, working with my hands, and working ridiculous hours, among those reasons. Anyway, as an undergrad I minored in art and I am really interested in adding more of that creative stuff to my work/curriculum. Someone told me about the masters degree you can get in biovis and i was thinking about doing it between my M2 and M3 years because I could learn how to design prosthetics and do illustration. However, my ultimate goal is to become a plastic surgeon, would I be able to wield that degree to contribute something? Or would it just be some tag on degree? I would really like to apply for an integrated plastics residency when the time comes, however impossible they are to get. Will this help me as an applicant? Any and all of your feedback is appreciated! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Being intelligent, hard-working, motivated, creative, efficient, committed, and friendly will help you as a plastic surgeon.

Plastic surgeons spend their time operating, not designing prosthetics or drawing. If you want to design prosthetics, you can work for a biotech company that does that sort of thing. If you're just looking for a way to help your application, spend the time doing plastics research. A publication will impress people more than earning a degree in biomedical visualization, which few people will likely have ever heard of and that only took one year to get.

then again, lots of applicants have a plastics publication, not many will have the whatever nonsensical degree you just mentioned. Sounds cool though, the kind of thing that would make an attending perhaps stop and say wow, that's cool.

jdubya said:
then again, lots of applicants have a plastics publication, not many will have the whatever nonsensical degree you just mentioned. Sounds cool though, the kind of thing that would make an attending perhaps stop and say wow, that's cool.
:D as i've told other friends, biovis isn't nonsensical but i would enjoy doing it and i think that's the main attraction for me about it at this point. thank you both for your feedback though. :)