Would a business masters negatively affect my chances at an admission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kikara

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently on a waitlist and working on my plan B. I have thought about different options if I don't get accepted this year. Would doing a business management masters negatively affect my application? Would the schools see this as a lack of commitment to medicine? I would think that business is pretty useful in virtually all industries including medicine, but I'm not sure how the adcoms see it. What is your opinion?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it will have much effect one way or the other. Maybe indirectly negative if it prevents you from being able to get better clinical experience/research/etc...

Just don't say "It was my Plan B" in an interview if someone asks about it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Would doing a business management masters negatively affect my application?

The answer is it no, it would not negatively affect your app.

However it may also not be the most effective way to boost your application.

Reactions: 2 users
I knew someone who got into medical school after completing a MBA in health admin. He also got his shadowing/clinical hours working in the same hospital.

He said during interviews he elaborated on how his MBA reinforced his decision to pursue MD. So, I wouldn't see anything detrimental if you have a master in business.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks everyone for the response! I understand it won't really add to my application but I'm glad that it doesn't negatively affect it.