Worth the wait?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teambringit

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I just wanted to get either a podiatric resident or podiatrist's opinion on a personal issue. I'm currently a first year student and I enjoy school so far. But I'm curious if I should wait till I graduate in 2018 to get engaged/married. I'm kind of in a weird situation because I'm a single 22 year old male but I'm very old school and would like to settle down early but realistically I don't think it is the right time to be thinking about marriage. But it still hurts letting high quality women go now and having to wait all of those years. So is it worth the wait? Feel free to comment at what age you guys have gotten married or engaged. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

What about the 3 years of residency? That's definitely not a better time to get married. I had a co-resident get divorced and have a co-residents marriage struggling right now. The first few years in practice will be tough too because you'll likely be putting in long hours then as well. There's probably never going to be a good time, but to be honest podiatry school is probably a better time than residency, IMO.

Reactions: 1 users
Podiatry school will be the least busy and care free you will be during the next 10 years of your life. If you are waiting for the "perfect" time to get married, I got news for you...you will never get married. I had 2 kids during pod school, trust me, getting married is not going to be an issue.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think 3rd year podiatry school or early during 1st year of practice when you don't have the patient load to be busy would be the best times. Never a good time to have a kid, so just have it, deal with it, and try to enjoy the ride.

Reactions: 1 user
Find the right woman, get married. If she is worth her salt, she will either have a job (less student loans for you) or be able to handle all the stuff that takes time away from your studies (chores, etc). She gets to marry someone who will provide for her and her family. I had 2 kids when I started pod school, now I have 4, and doing great. I got married at 22, in undergrad, and haven't looked back. Make sure you are ready to commit. (and her of course).

My wife and I got married during school. Mind you, I'm a third year student but I still was able to do it. I definitely wouldn't wait till residency. Seeing how busy they are I feel like it'd be impossible IMO

I got married when I was a third year. Had my first child when I was a 4th year. Currently finishing up the last few months of residency. It was not a walk in the park but having the right partner makes all the difference. There is no perfect time to get married but your wife has to understand what you will be going through and you should give her the heads up that residency is not a 9-5 job.