Worth sending Letter of Interest/Intent?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meowmeowmeowmeow

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been fortunate enough to receive a couple acceptances, but I haven't heard from my top choice. I wanted to send in a letter of interest with a couple of updates.
I was recently hired to continue as a TA for the spring semester (didn't mention this in my app), have had some research progress (talked a lot during the interview), and got a new volunteer position teaching music to kids. Would these be worth updating to the school, in addition to reiterating my fit for the school?

Also, if I mention my other acceptances, would that be considered a letter of intent?

Members don't see this ad.

Intent letters are pretty useless unless you are on the waitlist so wait for the school to make a decision first.

Sending a letter of interest/update combination post II would be fine, but will only really help if it is a school that has made it clear that they love getting updates.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, if I mention my other acceptances, would that be considered a letter of intent?
Don't do this. Writing your letter is sufficient enough. Tone is hard to judge over type and mentioning other acceptances can get misconstrued easily.

LOIs are a bit like Pascal's wager depending on the program. If you haven't even interviewed with the school at this point you don't have much to lose since interview season is ending. If you're post-interview, I would continue to wait in silent frustration.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are post interview, just send a letter of interest coupled with an update without mentioning other schools. It won't hurt.

A lot of people say that letters of interest won't help and while I agree, for some reason literally almost every single school I interviewed at (8 so far), said they were receptive to updates/letters of interest.