Worth Reading DeVita

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RadOncMegatron

Blasting Away Cancer!
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before you answer "yes, this is the seminal textbook of oncology" hear me out.

I am a resident with limited time, busy clinic, and even busier family life. I also have all the "classic" rad onc text books (no I did not read them all) and wanted to know if it is worth a residents time to read Leibel (my text of choice) or DeVita.

Another question is if I have read a chapter in Leibel is it worth reading that same section again in DeVita or another rad onc text like Gunderson.

I

Members don't see this ad.

Agree with Brim, unless you are photographic and only have to read things once. Then, why not? For a radonc, I think best to read same source multiple times plus relevant journal articles (over and over). Leibel and Gunderson and Perez have similar information. No need to read all.

Members don't see this ad :)
I view it as an extracurricular effort. Learning overall treatment strategy, surgical and medical management of cancers from DeVita would probably make you stand out among most RadOncs out there.

Where does the Cox and Ang book fall amongst the Perez, Gunderson, Leibel books?

Cox and Ang is definitely the bottom for a rad onc, but prb the top for a non-rad onc. I think it is too slim for the typical rad onc.