Worth my time to reapply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bouddha

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, here goes.

2.98 cGPA
3.05 sGPA
36T MCAT
1200+ hours volunteering
~400 hours were medical
30 year old air force veteran/father
Will graduate in may w/ BA + BS bio, GPA will bump to 3.05
Interviewed at one Texas school this year
Teach for MCAT prep course
Will have much stronger letters this time around

I will be spending the next year in India, where wife will be working while I watch our daughter and work on an online grad certificate in public health.

Increasing my GPA is not really an option, and neither is SMP/Post-Bacc.

So, I'm only going to reapply to Texas schools, because of a Texas tuition benefit I have.

Is it worth it to reapply? Will being above 3.0 make any difference?

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, here goes.

2.98 cGPA
3.05 sGPA
36T MCAT
1200+ hours volunteering
~400 hours were medical
30 year old air force veteran/father
Will graduate in may w/ BA + BS bio, GPA will bump to 3.05
Interviewed at one Texas school this year
Teach for MCAT prep course
Will have much stronger letters this time around

I will be spending the next year in India, where wife will be working while I watch our daughter and work on an online grad certificate in public health.

Increasing my GPA is not really an option, and neither is SMP/Post-Bacc.

So, I'm only going to reapply to Texas schools, because of a Texas tuition benefit I have.

Is it worth it to reapply? Will being above 3.0 make any difference?

Clearly the elephant in the room is ur gpa, everything else looks good. How do u plan to address it within the context of ur application? Do u have extenuating circumstances? Do u have an upward trend? It's wise to briefly address the cause for ur low gpa in ur PS.

Next to ur gpa, I think ur biggest obstacle might be the # of schools u apply to. As u know, applying to only TX sch, will limit ur chances especially in light of ur gpa AND tuition benefits only come to play if and when u get accepted. I'll advice u to apply to much more schools and weigh costs once u get finaid back...

gdluck

I'd recommend submitting on the very first day TMDSAS opens. I think that's May 1.

Consider applying to TCOM if you didn't already.

Consider hiring a consultant to buff your narrative.

Visit the nontrad forum for support from other over-30 folks, and the postbac forum for GPA comeback strategies/anecdotes.

Best of luck to you.