Worth memorizing amino acids?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bru

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I find myself getting hammered in TBR bio and orgo with very specific questions about amino acids. I know some facts but not all the details of each side chain for instance. Is this something worth flash-carding?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, know the structure of each amino acid, its single letter name, three letter name, and full name. Its quite helpful for answering problems.

Members don't see this ad :)
I find myself getting hammered in TBR bio and orgo with very specific questions about amino acids. I know some facts but not all the details of each side chain for instance. Is this something worth flash-carding?

What you should notice after a while is that certain amino acids recur in structure-based questions (proline and cysteine in particular). You need to not only know the sidechains, but why they have such a impact on structure. You should also know which amino acids often find themselves in active sites (serine and histidine). Beyond that, you should know the hydrophilics by name, the acidics by name, and the basics by name. This will help greatly on "what's the charge...?" or "what's the pI...?" questions.

Knowing the impact of replacing valine with glutamic acid does not require knowing the exact structures, but if you know you've replaced a hydrophobic sidechain with an acidic (and therefore hydrophilic) sidechain, you know that you've drastically changed the beahvior of that site and likely changed the folding of the protein. The reverse of this is a common biology application with which you should be familiar.

Absolutely not. This will be a complete waste of time unless maybe you're shooting for a 40+ or some ridiculous score like that.

Oh just take an afternoon and memorize them already. Unlike organic side chain pKa's and coulomb's law, amino acids really will follow you around for the next few years of your career, and each time you will be assured that "you don't need to memorize the amino acids, you just need to be familiar with their properties". In another words, you should just memorize them.

It only takes a day. Go to wikipedia, and look up the page for each individual amino acid. Each one has a unique story. Put each one on an index card, with the drawing of the molecule on the front. On the back write down all the information that seems interesting to you. Name. Abbreviation. Class (acid, neutral, polar, etc). But especially all the interesting little dirt on each one.

Glycine is not chiral. That's neat.

Threonine has a chiral side chain. That's neat. Isoleucine is too. They probably have secret chiral meetings once a month after school.

Valine is shaped like a "V". That's neat. He's a branched chain, like his brothers Leucine and Isoleucine. Isn't it weird that the side chain for Leucine is "iso" but the side chain for Isoleucine is not "iso"? Whoever named those two was smoking crack!

Serine is the smallest alcoholic group. So he's like an underage drinker.

Tyrosine looks like a tire. He's an aromatic, so he probably smells bad like his cousin Phenylalanine. He's also an alcoholic, so he probably taught little Serine how to drink. Tyrosine is a smelly drunk with a fat tire around his middle.

Asparagine really was named after asparagus!

etc.

If you approach the amino acids as a dysfunctional family of misfits gathered around the thanksgiving dinner table, they are actually quite amusing, and pretty quick to memorize once and for all.

Reactions: 1 users
Absolutely not. This will be a complete waste of time unless maybe you're shooting for a 40+ or some ridiculous score like that.

Don't get me wrong, but shouldn't it be everyone's goal to do the best they can? I feel like it would be better to shoot for a 40+ and not reach it than to shoot for a 28 and not reach it. If there's a slight possibility that something will be on the exam, shouldn't we study it?

There is a biology question in the AAMC Official Guide to the MCAT that absolutely could not have been answered unless you knew the atomic structure of a specific amino acid. The answer was not hiding in the passage. Either you knew your amino acids or you didn't.

Make of that what you will.

Don't get me wrong, but shouldn't it be everyone's goal to do the best they can? I feel like it would be better to shoot for a 40+ and not reach it than to shoot for a 28 and not reach it. If there's a slight possibility that something will be on the exam, shouldn't we study it?

It is not even listed in the topic list provided by AAMC..
You dont need to know the structures of every single amino acid.. but you just need to know certain important characteristics of them.. For instance, glycine = optically inactive..

It is not even listed in the topic list provided by AAMC..
You dont need to know the structures of every single amino acid.. but you just need to know certain important characteristics of them.. For instance, glycine = optically inactive..

Like I said, you don't need to know the structures of the amino acids, you just need to know and understand the unique properties of each one :laugh:

Just memorize the damn things, and you won't have to ask this question ever again.