Worth it to re-take Physics (last time 15+ years ago w/ 2 Cs) to help raise my BCPM GPA? Or focus time self-studying to obtain good MCAT score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Sorry for the long post...I'm a non-traditional student meaning I completed my undergraduate classes over 15 years ago. My sGPA, particularly my undergraduate sGPA, was pretty low and just a bit above 3.0.

The bad news is I got Cs in Physics both semesters of my undergraduate (as well as Bs in both semesters of Organic Chemistry). I have taken neither again since then. (Aside: I thought I wanted to be a PA which doesn't require them as prereqs.) I was completely lost as a young college student, especially beginning around age 16 or so. I also got Bs and Cs in other science classes as an undergraduate student. Since then, I've retaken a lot of bio courses, gotten straight As, and been #1 or #2 in all my classes as well as been study group facilitators and tutors in multiple classes.

Question:
While I could potentially see a slight bump in my sGPA if I get an A in Physics, as well as rigorously learn the subject in a semester-long class, would the time to take a class be worth it? Or do I just focus on getting a really good MCAT score through self-study?
The argument FOR taking Physics is if med schools look at a breakdown of your prereqs and see 2 Cs in Physics 15+ years ago and think less of my application since I haven't shown improvement in any Physics (or O. Chem) classes since then. Do they break it out like that, i.e., Physics GPA = 2.0?

More details (if you need):

I'm wondering where it would be wise or advantageous to retake Physics in the Spring 2024 semester that would bump up my sGPA by a bit. This course could be either the first semester of Physics w/ lab (1A) or even a condensed semester of all topics in Physics without lab. I originally thought your sGPA only consisted of: 2 semesters Gen. Bio, 2 semesters Gen. Chem, 2 semester O. Chem, and 2 semesters Physics and correlated with the basic "prereqs" that med schools wish to see...but after doing more research, if I'm correct, it also includes any BCPM science courses you've taken beyond that including Anatomy, Physiology, and more which I've taken very recently (see below) and which bump up my sGPA considerably...if included in sGPA calculations.

I'm also planning to self-study for the MCAT and to take it around May 2024. In addition, I'm working at a hospital. So with part-time work and part-time MCAT studying, taking a Physics course when I'm not too hot in Physics to begin with would potentially add many hours to my time each week including homework, studying, exams, lectures, and more. Remember, at the end of a Spring 2024 Physics course, if I get a B then it doesn't really help after all.

Educational background (if you need):
My GPA wasn't the hottest and my overall sGPA was around 3.0 or maybe even lower (2.XX?) since I got a mix of Cs and many Bs and the occasional A while all other non-sGPA classes were around 4.0. With all that said, my overall undergraduate GPA for all classes was around 3.27.
Since then, I went to grad school at a top public health school and received slightly over a 3.7 overall GPA.
I also have taken a heavy mix of science classes at community colleges since then beginning in 2020 including General Biology w/ lab, General Chemistry w/ lab, Anatomy w/ lab, Physiology w/ lab, Cell and Molecular Biology w/ lab, Microbiology w/ lab, Genetics, Medical Terminology, General Physcology, Lifespan Psychology, Abnormal Psychology, Kinesiology, all with straight As.

Thank you everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Generally, physics/ochem/biochem are the gatekeeper courses. If I could only pick three subjects to get A's in, those would be it. A "C" in both semesters of physics, especially from so long ago, puts into question in every reviewer's mind whether or not you are competitive with other applicants. Even if it did not impact your GPA, if you felt reasonably sure you could get A's, it would be an excellent boost to your app. Also, many programs require that prereq's are within a specific time range (for example, within 10 yrs of applying).

Members don't see this ad :)
if I'm correct, it also includes any BCPM science courses you've taken beyond that including Anatomy, Physiology, and more which I've taken very recently (see below) and which bump up my sGPA considerably...if included in sGPA calculations.

They do count in your sGPA calculations. What does that bring your sGPA to?

I'm also planning to self-study for the MCAT and to take it around May 2024.

If you are taking it in May, you should start studying asap. Mcat should definitely be a top priority if your gpa needs help.

I also have taken a heavy mix of science classes at community colleges since then

Any chance you can take a class or 2 at a 4 year?

To your original question, a retake of physics is probably a good idea but if you have reason to believe you will get an A in it.

In general I think it might be a good idea even for yourself to be able to juggle one or 2 classes with mcat. But when are you planning to apply?

They do count in your sGPA calculations. What does that bring your sGPA to?

If you are taking it in May, you should start studying asap. Mcat should definitely be a top priority if your gpa needs help.

Any chance you can take a class or 2 at a 4 year?

To your original question, a retake of physics is probably a good idea but if you have reason to believe you will get an A in it.

In general I think it might be a good idea even for yourself to be able to juggle one or 2 classes with mcat. But when are you planning to apply?

I appreciate your response.

My replies to your questions:

1. If that's the case that they count towards my BCPM GPA, it raises it a bit then. If I didn't mention it in detail (sorry if I'm repeating myself), since my undergrad days 15+ years ago I returned to school in the past 2-3 years to retake some classes and take additional science classes. Just recently I've taken all of the following at a community college: Gen Bio Parts 1 & 2 w/ lab, Gen Chem Parts 1 & 2 w/ lab, Anatomy w/ lab, Physiology w/ lab, Microbiology w/ lab, Cell and Molecular Bio w/ lab, and Genetics with all straight As in them. Those would count for BCPM if I'm therefore understanding correctly. I also started and facilitated dedicated study groups, bought dry erase markers, and procured white boards, and brought food to each session and got top grades in each class at 100% or near 100%. During the same time period I've also taken Psychology, Medical Terminology, Kinesiology, and more which do not count for BCPM but count for other categories. Those I received all straight As in as well. Statistics is another class I've taken with an A in it although I don't know if that counts towards BCPM.

2. I've already started studying for the MCAT last month. I'm working part-time but am disciplined so I get study hours in each day.

3. Yes, I've been taking classes at a primary community college and when it doesn't offer all the classes I need I then have taken them at other community colleges in the area.

4. I plan to take the MCAT in May or June with scores reported in June or July, respectively. I realize the earlier the better and the system opens in early June. I've heard as long as you apply the first few weeks in June that counts as early but even later in June or even early July still is somewhat okay if you're a unique enough candidate.

Thanks for your thoughts about Physics. I'm signed up for Intro to Physics Part 1 (for premeds), which is the course that would apply to BCPM. Alternately, I'm signed up for a different course: Intro to Physics, which is a one year topic overview condensed into one semester. That's a rare course. Would that apply to BCPM? I may ask that question in a separate thread if necessary.

Last edited:
I appreciate your response.

My replies to your questions:

1. If that's the case that they count towards my BCPM GPA, it raises it a bit then. If I didn't mention it in detail (sorry if I'm repeating myself), since my undergrad days 15+ years ago I returned to school in the past 2-3 years to retake some classes and take additional science classes. Just recently I've taken all of the following at a community college: Gen Bio Parts 1 & 2 w/ lab, Gen Chem Parts 1 & 2 w/ lab, Anatomy w/ lab, Physiology w/ lab, Microbiology w/ lab, Cell and Molecular Bio w/ lab, and Genetics with all straight As in them. Those would count for BCPM if I'm therefore understanding correctly. I also started and facilitated dedicated study groups, bought dry erase markers, and procured white boards, and brought food to each session and got top grades in each class at 100% or near 100%. During the same time period I've also taken Psychology, Medical Terminology, Kinesiology, and more which do not count for BCPM but count for other categories. Those I received all straight As in as well. Statistics is another class I've taken with an A in it although I don't know if that counts towards BCPM.

2. I've already started studying for the MCAT last month. I'm working part-time but am disciplined so I get study hours in each day.

3. Yes, I've been taking classes at a primary community college and when it doesn't offer all the classes I need I then have taken them at other community colleges in the area.

4. I plan to take the MCAT in May or June with scores reported in June or July, respectively. I realize the earlier the better and the system opens in early June. I've heard as long as you apply the first few weeks in June that counts as early but even later in June or even early July still is somewhat okay if you're a unique enough candidate.

Thanks for your thoughts about Physics. I'm signed up for Intro to Physics Part 1 (for premeds), which is the course that would apply to BCPM. Alternately, I'm signed up for a different course: Intro to Physics, which is a one year topic overview condensed into one semester. That's a rare course. Would that apply to BCPM? I may ask that question in a separate thread if necessary.

Statistics does count because it’s mathematics (M in BCPM) and some schools recommend it so good call on taking that.

I don’t know if any physics courses that wouldn’t count towards BCPM so I am not sure why the intro course wouldn’t count. But i think some (most?) schools need physics to be with lab so just make sure it has a lab component.

I assume you have organic chemistry on your course list as well?

Might be mentioned already but there is a time out period for pre reqs as in they need to be completed within x amount of years of applying, so may need to retake which could help for mcat too