Worth it to look over FA for Step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dawkter

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone skimmed through FA for step 1 to brush up on pathology and topics like lysosomal storage diseases, glycogen storage diseases, immune deficiencies etc. I am considering doing this in the last couple of days and was curious as to if it would be high yield. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I use my FA from step 1 mostly for quick blurbs on basic pathologies Ive forgotten or basic MOAs of drugs/side effects.

Definitely worth it to keep it around!

Wondering if anyone skimmed through FA for step 1 to brush up on pathology and topics like lysosomal storage diseases, glycogen storage diseases, immune deficiencies etc. I am considering doing this in the last couple of days and was curious as to if it would be high yield. Thanks!

Not for step 2. Useless. In life? Maybe. To sounds smart? Ok. for Step 2, it is about diagnosis and management, not about rare diseases in rediculous biochemical pathways.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not for step 2. Useless. In life? Maybe. To sounds smart? Ok. for Step 2, it is about diagnosis and management, not about rare diseases in rediculous biochemical pathways.

I know my step 2 book has all those immunodeficiency disorders, and I've seen three storage disease questions (and I've only done ~100 qbank questions so far). The questions could have been straight out of step 1. Kid comes in with cough, frequently sick with pneumonia, splenomegaly, pancytopenia..what's dx? Part b, what enzyme is deficient?

I know my step 2 book has all those immunodeficiency disorders, and I've seen three storage disease questions (and I've only done ~100 qbank questions so far). The questions could have been straight out of step 1. Kid comes in with cough, frequently sick with pneumonia, splenomegaly, pancytopenia..what's dx? Part b, what enzyme is deficient?

I guess I'll just have to miss part B, then. It's totally not worth your time (unless you've got 6 weeks off or are gunning for a 270+) to go back and memorize all of the enzyme deficiencies and storage diseases.

I guess I'll just have to miss part B, then. It's totally not worth your time (unless you've got 6 weeks off or are gunning for a 270+) to go back and memorize all of the enzyme deficiencies and storage diseases.

Even still, it's not. I kept telling myself I was going to....even started to make some flashcards that I was going to do the last couple days. Push came to shove and I said basically decided it wasn't worth the point or two. Same with renal tubular acidosis. I actually did read over this briefly, then I gave up.

Interestingly there was 1 question on my test on RTA (which I got it wrong) and 0 on nitty gritty basic science biochem type stuff. Remember, this is the CLINICAL knowledge test.

I got a 267. You'll be fine.