Worth it to apply to California residencies from out of state?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lookatbanner

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The dreaded California residency question.

I'd like to get the advice of those of you who have gone through the application process. I've done some research on residencies in California, which is my home state, and probably 90% of the residents are all from CA pharmacy schools and many of them only offer 2-4 positions.

I'm wondering if it's safe or a good idea in your opinion to allocate >50% of my residency apps to CA. I just feel like I can't compete with UCSF/UCSD/USC students, being top schools and all (my out of state college is "ranked" in the top 20 but it's a small town college and nothing too crazy in the way of national recognition) and I worry that if I apply to 8 CA residencies and 2 non-CA residencies I might end up not even matching to anything.

Stats in a nutshell:

P3
4.0 GPA (possibly 3.9 after finals :/)
3 years of research
2 Poster presentations at ACCP and ASHP
Volunteer involvement in several free clinics and a med rec thing
leadership positions in a free clinic and Rho Chi
2 jobs- retail :/ and as a clinical research assistant- no hospital pharmacy experience outside of IPPEs

I'm missing some leadership in national orgs, unfortunately, and I'm not a super stellar interviewee on account of nerves.

I guess my question is, is there a point for out of staters to focus on CA for a residency match if they have no prior connections there?

Thanks :) Would appreciate any advice anyone has. I had a friend that said the same thing for medical residencies then ended up matching at UCSF of all places so I guess one can dream.

Members don't see this ad.

Just apply. But be prepared to spend extra $$ flying west (potentially several times if you can't line them up properly). Familiarity with a program isn't an automatic in for anyone.

I'm just a P4, but I think there's no harm in trying. However, I wouldn't put most of my eggs in one basket. Why can't you do 5 in California and 5 in other places? If you apply to mainly CA programs, not getting a residency is a risk you would have to be willing to take.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just a P4, but I think there's no harm in trying. However, I wouldn't put most of my eggs in one basket. Why can't you do 5 in California and 5 in other places? If you apply to mainly CA programs, not getting a residency is a risk you would have to be willing to take.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think that is probably what I will do, spread it out 50/50.

Just kind of worried even with 50/50 I'm severely limiting my chances of a residency.

Programs like to have some diversity between applicants...I know plenty of people who did residency in CA that did not go to school there. Look at these program's websites, they often list their current residents and the college of pharmacy they came from. It might help you decide.

In a nutshell...
Graduated from lesser well-known northeast school
GPA: 3.4
Research experience: extensive
Teaching: some
Interviewed at 2 Cali programs and 5 nation-wide.
Matched at a top ranked Cali med ctr.

Case in point, no sense in not applying just because you think you are not competitive. I had a friend who went to the same school and applied to 8 Cali programs and got interviews at 7. Apply to the programs that take more than 2 residents and you'll be fine. Have some faith in yourself. Your grades, CV and letters will get you the interview. Your interview will get you the position...period

In a nutshell...
Graduated from lesser well-known northeast school
GPA: 3.4
Research experience: extensive
Teaching: some
Interviewed at 2 Cali programs and 5 nation-wide.
Matched at a top ranked Cali med ctr.

Case in point, no sense in not applying just because you think you are not competitive. I had a friend who went to the same school and applied to 8 Cali programs and got interviews at 7. Apply to the programs that take more than 2 residents and you'll be fine. Have some faith in yourself. Your grades, CV and letters will get you the interview. Your interview will get you the position...period

That's awesome and congratulations! Definitely good to hear your success stories.

Did you network with anyone at your residency before applying or was it kind of a "cold call" app?