Worth getting a bachelors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flyinglady31

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi...I'm all done with my degree...40 more units left to go... but feel my time might be better spent doing conservation work/research abroad etc. during at least part of the time I have before vet school (all of my pre-reqs for vet school are done :) ) SO, do you feel it's important to have a BA before vet school? Can you complete it once in vet school? Anyone out there regret not having one if they were accepted before getting a degree? Thanks for the insight :)

Members don't see this ad.

IMO, it's worth having that degree to show for all the hard work (and money) you put in! I'd rather have 2 degrees after completing my veterinary studies, rather than 1.

I was accepted to vet school when I had about 8-12 units left to complete for my degree. I managed to move some units around to make my degree happen. I theoretically graduated with my BS degree *after* I started working on my BVMS degree.

Absolutely you should get it done. I like to always have back up plans and if for some reason, you can't either finish vet school (maybe from an injury or even a pregnancy...stranger things have happened!) or you end up doing something totally different, you'll have an already completed degree to fall back on. Besides, there are not really any blow off classes in vet school, so it'll be the last time you'll probably be able to take a fun political science or religious studies or business class. Having a well rounded education is so important. The summer before you start vet school would be an excellent time to do fun stuff like what you were talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.