worth doing nbme exam in final week???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cd1998

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi--
i am taking my step 1 in 5 days, and am starting to freak out after reading a lot of the recent posts about the actual exam being nothing like qbank. i have been scoring in the low-mid 70s pretty consistently for the past 3-4 weeks and have been using QBank and QBook as pretty much my sole question sources. i took an nbme exam administered by school before studying. is it worth taking one or two of the nbme exams over the next few days even if there are no answers??? do most people try to find underground answers so to learn from the questions, or just use it to gauge performance??? help!

thanks,
cd1998

Members don't see this ad.

cd1998 said:
hi--
i am taking my step 1 in 5 days, and am starting to freak out after reading a lot of the recent posts about the actual exam being nothing like qbank. i have been scoring in the low-mid 70s pretty consistently for the past 3-4 weeks and have been using QBank and QBook as pretty much my sole question sources. i took an nbme exam administered by school before studying. is it worth taking one or two of the nbme exams over the next few days even if there are no answers??? do most people try to find underground answers so to learn from the questions, or just use it to gauge performance??? help!

thanks,
cd1998

i take notes when i do the NBMEs and look up answers afterward. since NBME questions are so much shorter than qbank, i always still have more than enough time to finish the exam before the 1 hr mark.

and yes, i think you should do at least 1 more NBME to 'get used to' the question style of USMLE, they are VERY different from qbank (qbank has a lot of description on the patient's status and usually that gives away the answer, but in NBME, i think there's more buzzwords and you just have to know your facts)