worth doing nbme 6 in the last week?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lanced

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've taken 3,4,5 and usworld 1. doing the 150 free questions tomorrow -- is nbme 6 worth doing too? I've heard its pretty representative, just wonder if the time would be better spent studying since i've done several already?

any feedback appreciated, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Ask yourself this, is the NBME6 going to change your exam date? It takes some valuable time and it offers no explanations that you could learn from.

If you were going to do the exam anyway, what's the point of wasting hours on the NBME 6, other than to give you anxiety over your performance? I'd use that time to answer more USMLE world questions, or if you are done with them, redo them again.

It's absolutely worth it. I did it six days before my exam. Since it's the most recent NBME exam, the material tested is probably the most representative of what is on the exam currently. If you're like me, even though there aren't any answers, you can figure out what topics you're still having trouble with. It can direct you to some possibly high-yield study topics for the last few days. Also, since I tend to be a glass half full person, you might end up getting a great score, which could decrease your anxiety before the real thing.

Apparently there's answers available on the NBME website now for $15 -- not sure how detailed?

I see both points -- the only reason I would consider is to do problems "most representative" of the exam. Pretty burned out from the 150 free ones this morning so prob not today, maybe in 2 days though? Honestly I thought the 150 free were a good reminder how the NBMEs are pretty different from Uworld (more straight up questions, know it or you don't).

Thanks, i appreciate the feedback