Worth applying to public university DOs for an OOS with solid ECs + average stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EvidenceLockup12

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

This is my first cycle and hopefully, my only one. I'm not as concerned about where I go as long as the school is legit and worth getting a degree at. Ideally, it'd be in the NE region, but beggars can't be choosers. I'm applying to about 20-30 schools as an ORM with solid ECs and average stats: cGPA: 3.7+| sGPA: 3.6+ | MCAT: 506. I also have a LoR from a DO physician.

My question is: Is it worth applying to public university DOs (MSUCOM, OSU-COM, OU-HCOM specifically) as an OOS applicant without ties, but my stats and ECs? Also, if I were to, would it be too late? I'm already verified.

I don't mind spending a fix extra bucks to broaden my chances, but I'd like to save money where I can.

TIA!

Members don't see this ad.

Probably a waste of money at OSU-COM and OU-HCOM, since <10% of their classes are OOS and your stats are good but not phenomenal; many of the OOS students at these schools have exceptional stats and/or strong family ties to the state.

MSUCOM is 15% OOS, but their out-of-state tuition is approaching $90K/year (no, not total cost of living... just tuition!).

Reactions: 1 user
Hey all,

This is my first cycle and hopefully, my only one. I'm not as concerned about where I go as long as the school is legit and worth getting a degree at. Ideally, it'd be in the NE region, but beggars can't be choosers. I'm applying to about 20-30 schools as an ORM with solid ECs and average stats: cGPA: 3.7+| sGPA: 3.6+ | MCAT: 506. I also have a LoR from a DO physician.

My question is: Is it worth applying to public university DOs (MSUCOM, OSU-COM, OU-HCOM specifically) as an OOS applicant without ties, but my stats and ECs? Also, if I were to, would it be too late? I'm already verified.

I don't mind spending a fix extra bucks to broaden my chances, but I'd like to save money where I can.

TIA!
Go for it! A friend of mine got accepted to osu oos with slightly weaker stats. Got accepted late off the waitlist though.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all,

TIA!
I had almost the same stats as you when I applied last year and received several interviews/acceptances at DO schools; however, I did not apply to MSUCOM, OSU-COM, or OU-HCOM, but if you have the money go for it.

Reactions: 1 user