Worst job you've ever had?//Treat your assistants right PSA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stanelz

RDA-->DMD
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So as an assistant and someone who has worked a few rough jobs i.e medical scribe..I have come to realize one thing...

People who have had to work crappy jobs tend to be the best bosses. Obviously its not 100% but it seems to ring mostly true.

So whats the worst job you have had?

Every boss/dentist I have had so far that has had to work crappy or at least normal jobs before dental school always seem to treat their assistants and ancillary staff better than those who do not.

For those of you who have gotten into school straight out of undergrad, I urge you to treat your assistants well because they have much more of a role in your practice than you realize.

For example. I have three bosses currently. Two are super nice and worked grueling normal jobs prior to becoming a dentist and so they understand the grind and treat the staff very well and have no problem giving staff a raise when they see fit...in return the staff treat them AND THEIR PATIENTS exceptionally well.

One boss I have pinches pennies and never wants to give anyone a raise. We treat his patients with respect but you will never see us try to sell production to any of his patients. In the end HE LOSES. His numbers are much lower and his patients tend to not stick around as much.

Your patients are more honest with your assistants than they are with you TRUST ME. Treat your staff well and you will see growth in your production or at least patient pool.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Its hard to find another dental-hopeful that did the medical scribe life...I'm with ya

True post lol. The dentist I shadowed told me to always show respect and care to your assistant. She would set up the room exactly how he wanted and they would crack jokes etc. It made me feel more welcomed as a person shadowing them.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The worst job I've had was working as a cashier at a Kmart. Ever since that job, I've been much nicer to cashiers...:laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
As someone who has worked as a host, server, and manager at various restaurants, I believe EVERYONE should have to work in food & beverage for a few months as part of their college curriculum.

It socializes you, forces you to multitasks, and teaches you how to be a nice human being.

Also, please always tip 20%! Your server might be saving up for dental school haha.

Reactions: 2 users
Sales associate at footlocker. Retail gets old realllllllll quick

Reactions: 1 users
Waiter at Olive Garden for 4 years during undergrad. Truly taught me patience

Best post! I've worked as a hygienist for 10 yrs, and I've already decided once I find a great assistant/FD, etc, that I will do whatever it takes to make sure they feel appreciated and valued... I've seen all different types of management styles and office dynamics, and the most successful doctors have the best rapport with patients and staff alike. Toxic work environments have out-of-control turn around in both patients and staff and that costs $ big time, as well as keeping everyone miserable. I found a great office 5yrs ago and hope to come back to it as an associate/partner after DS

So my worst job was working on the floor at Kohl's dept store... I will never work retail again, but I will also NEVER leave a pile of clothes in the dressing room!

Worked as a DA for 2 years with like 8 different doctors and I totally agree with everything OP said especially about treating assistants better when they've had a previous crappy job. Also worked in retail for 4 years before that. Never again!

Dishwasher, Delivery Driver, Server, Even a brief stint at McDonald's for my first Job... None too glamorous

Unloaded trucks at 5 AM, retail, food service, aide for disabled young adult, door to door sales, research assistant, carpet cleaning

Ive really liked being an aide and research best

Retail probably (and I worked as a scribe too). It was the most thankless job but really made me appreciate working in a healthcare setting. As difficult as patient care can be, you are improving someone's quality of life at the end of the day. That's worth everything.

One more piece of advice. When you buy your practice, don't fire old receptionist. She will make you more money. For example the old receptionist at oral surgeon was hunting me down until I made appointment to remove wisdom teeth for my son. Me and him had consulted to do more procedures, including implants, but haven't heard from the new receptionist for a year. It always takes extra persuasion to book painful procedures