Worst Day in NBDE1 Prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

enamel prizm

Member since 2007
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Friends I am going to take NBDE1 for the second time on June 30th, previously I scored 86 in December 2009. However because of my embarrassingly low GPA I feared my application for Advanced Standing Program will be thrown out by the admission committee and hence decided to try to improve the score to make it look a little better :)
Gone are the days when GPA didn't matter and 86 was the equivalent of 92 of today ...... sigh.... Anyways for my second attempt I studied really hard and long and made my notes and tried to develop some concepts but at my age it is really difficult to develop new connections between neurons and significantly improve the functioning of the Hippocampus but I didn't give up and burnt the midnight oil.
I thought I had done the decks and the NBDE First Aid quite well, as well as the ASDA released exams and felt that I was at this point much better prepared then I was the last time however I had purchased the First Aid Questions book sometime ago but didn't get a chance to go through it until today. I was appalled to find out that my performance was very poor, I scored 75% in Anatomy, 60% in Biochemistry/Physiology, 65% in Microbiology/Pathology and 90% on DA, it was such a rude awakening.
I found that the questions in Biochemistry were especially difficult, I think I know the concepts and facts and can reproduce them if asked in a straightforward way like in the ASDA papers but this book just floored me and I am having second thoughts about my second attempt, I may as well end up scoring less than 86 and then I would have to spend the rest of my life with a paper bag over my face :)
What I would like to ask this esteemed forum is if anyone else had the same experience with First Aid Questions book and if so what did you do in terms of your preparation strategy, any input would be highly appreciated as I would take my decision about the second attempt after I have more information from similar experiences.
My stats are 86, TOEFL 114, GPA 2.8 and four years of full time work experience as a Dental Hygienist in Canada, if anyone would like to comment about prospects of admission based on these stats please do so.
Good luck to those who are to take the exam and thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Friends I am going to take NBDE1 for the second time on June 30th, previously I scored 86 in December 2009. However because of my embarrassingly low GPA I feared my application for Advanced Standing Program will be thrown out by the admission committee and hence decided to try to improve the score to make it look a little better :)
Gone are the days when GPA didn't matter and 86 was the equivalent of 92 of today ...... sigh.... Anyways for my second attempt I studied really hard and long and made my notes and tried to develop some concepts but at my age it is really difficult to develop new connections between neurons and significantly improve the functioning of the Hippocampus but I didn't give up and burnt the midnight oil.
I thought I had done the decks and the NBDE First Aid quite well, as well as the ASDA released exams and felt that I was at this point much better prepared then I was the last time however I had purchased the First Aid Questions book sometime ago but didn't get a chance to go through it until today. I was appalled to find out that my performance was very poor, I scored 75% in Anatomy, 60% in Biochemistry/Physiology, 65% in Microbiology/Pathology and 90% on DA, it was such a rude awakening.
I found that the questions in Biochemistry were especially difficult, I think I know the concepts and facts and can reproduce them if asked in a straightforward way like in the ASDA papers but this book just floored me and I am having second thoughts about my second attempt, I may as well end up scoring less than 86 and then I would have to spend the rest of my life with a paper bag over my face :)
What I would like to ask this esteemed forum is if anyone else had the same experience with First Aid Questions book and if so what did you do in terms of your preparation strategy, any input would be highly appreciated as I would take my decision about the second attempt after I have more information from similar experiences.
My stats are 86, TOEFL 114, GPA 2.8 and four years of full time work experience as a Dental Hygienist in Canada, if anyone would like to comment about prospects of admission based on these stats please do so.
Good luck to those who are to take the exam and thank you for your time.

u have good chances...be positive,go head and apply

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Enamel prism
I gave my part 1 few months ago and I had done first aid question &Ans book .Truly speaking if you have not read First Aid NBDE part 1 you are most likely going to score low on Q&A .I had gone through both the books several times and to me it seemed that question were drawn from there book. Still that could be my opinion just trying to help you.

I would also suggest you that you have good stats try and give part 2.

your stats are good. why in the world do u think 86 is bad? Yes GPA is a little low but u r compensating that with 4 yrs of experience in the dental field. and TOEFL is good too. why such low confidence? And old 86 = New 92 is a total &^&^%$%.
If i were in ur situation, heres what I wd do.
Postpone part 1 exam to maybe next yr. Try applying with these scores. if u dont try, u will never know if they r going to throw ur application out(which is unlikely in ur case) or not. Then if u get interview calls do ur best. if u dont get in, attempt ur part 1 again after a more thorough preparation (coz it does seem like u r confident of only DA at this point).
Believe in yourself. All the best.

HEY, APPLY FOR MANY SCHOOLS YOU CAN, YOUR STATUS IS GOOD,DON'T LISTEN TO THOSE WHO R TRYING TO MAKE YOU DISAPPOINTED, I KNOW SO MANY ACCEPTED WITH EVEN LOWER SCORES THAN U HAVE ,EVEN THE GPA,. THEN YOU HAVE TIME TO DO PART ONE LATER,BUT FIRST APPLY . SPENDING A THOUSAND DOLLAR MORE FOR APPLICATIONS:xf::thumbup: IS NOTHING.

I agree... I have seen so many people with lower scores getting accepted.. I think you should apply to schools now. Your experience is also going to work to your advantage. If you really want to improve your resume, I think you should prepare for part2. But in the meanwhile start applying. That is my personal viewpoint.

You have good chance, give part2 if u wanna improve more coz I know ppl with GPA 2.5 got admissions:thumbup:

Hi,

I would say you stand a good chance if you apply to schools that are looking for work experience cause 4 years work exp as a full time hygienist is smthng that would surely override your gpa. here, some ppl have just a few mths of observership exp and they get in, so you are far on the top. all the best!

Dear friend,

Since you have made the descision to improve your scores I strongly suggest that u go ahead with your preparation and give it all you can. I was among the huge number of people who have improved their scores on 2nd attempt. I got a much lower score than you on first attempt and could improve my score by nearly a 10 marks. I haven't looked at the material you were mentioning. I went with asda released exams, decks and lecture notes on a few topics there are several beautiful threads on part 1 preparation of which I liked the following the most.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=646890

I am not aware whether people with perfect coordination of the neurons and those hippocampus scored top or not but a person like you WHO WANTS TO BRING THE BEST OUT OF HIMSELF AND WHO BELIVES IN HIMSELF WILL ALWAYS GET WHAT HE WANTS. Go ahead with your inner voice and give it the best shot you will achieve your target. Here is my hero who has shown that EVERY FAILURE HAS A PURPOSE.

List of Lincoln's failures

A common list of the failures of Abraham Lincoln (along with a few successes) is:

• 1831 - Lost his job
  • 1832 - Defeated in run for Illinois State Legislature
  • 1833 - Failed in business
  • 1834 - Elected to Illinois State Legislature (success)
  • 1835 - Sweetheart died
  • 1836 - Had nervous breakdown
  • 1838 - Defeated in run for Illinois House Speaker
  • 1843 - Defeated in run for nomination for U.S. Congress
  • 1846 - Elected to Congress (success)
  • 1848 - Lost re-nomination
  • 1849 - Rejected for land officer position
  • 1854 - Defeated in run for U.S. Senate
  • 1856 - Defeated in run for nomination for Vice President
  • 1858 - Again defeated in run for U.S. Senate
  • 1860 - Elected President (success) age 51 (right age to develop new connections between neurons and significantly improve the functioning of the Hippocampus) NEVER NEVER QUIT U GOT EVERYTHING TO GET THE MAXIMUM good luck to you my friend.

Guys thank yo very much for your valuable input and words of encouragement, since I have two weeks left before the exam I am going to do the best preparation that I can and re evaluate two days prior to the exam. :)

Thank you very much for the encouragement, you are right I should go ahead and apply anyways and see how it goes. I am still studying since I have only two weeks left so I guess I will re evaluate again closer to the exam whether I should retake or not.
Thanks again.:)