Worst case scenario...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Femtochemistry

Skunk Works
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys;

So I just took CS and I think I f'ed it up big time. I feel like $hit right now--mostly because I have interviews scheduled in December at some of the places I want to work...and now, if I did fail this thing, what next? WTF do I do? Not only will this put me out of the 2009 match, but I will have to call all these places and tell them my situation. Will they look down on this? Will they offer me a interview for the 2010 match? I really want to hang myself right now:(

Any advice on how to handle the situation if I do end up failing?

cheers fellas

Members don't see this ad.

Can u plz describe furthur ur f' ed up feeling?
I took it yesterday too n feel not so good either.

Do nothing and don't panic right now...just wait to get your score.
Most people pass.
Nothing you can do about it now, either.

Well,
I would say if u fail, dat doesnot put u out of the match, u can take it again n probably be certified by the time of match. And every one comes out with such a feeling i guess but most pass, hopefully u will too. My diagnostic workup sucked but iam hopeful.
So cheer up.

I was real nice with the patients...treated them like Gods....but I didn't have time to counsel all of them and my PN looked like it was written by a 5 year old--had to cross out some Dx and Ix because it was either in wrong order or it was just a dump mistake.

I was real nice with the patients...treated them like Gods....but I didn't have time to counsel all of them and my PN looked like it was written by a 5 year old--had to cross out some Dx and Ix because it was either in wrong order or it was just a dump mistake.

Hey femto man,I took it in philly, i had a similar experience, couldn't counsel atleast two pts and my patient note looked something like that too ,with crossings. But don't worry, just pray, what is done is done.

Goodluck.

Failing CS at this late date will make it difficult to take it again and pass prior to the ROL deadline.

However, this doesn't stop you from trying to prematch into a program. This would give you plenty of time to pass CS.

If you fail CS, you'll need to decide whether to tell programs or not. If not, maybe someone will offer you a prematch. If so, you can take it and then pass CS prior to July and be fine.

how about same case senerio and CK.... i mean just curious, what if you flunk that and have interviews scheduled???

Failing CS at this late date will make it difficult to take it again and pass prior to the ROL deadline.

However, this doesn't stop you from trying to prematch into a program. This would give you plenty of time to pass CS.

If you fail CS, you'll need to decide whether to tell programs or not. If not, maybe someone will offer you a prematch. If so, you can take it and then pass CS prior to July and be fine.

Thanks for the advice, PD. I am not familiar with the pre-match. So I don't have to worry about completing the ROL via NMRP? I have a job as long as I pass CS before July?

thx

Thanks for the advice, PD. I am not familiar with the pre-match. So I don't have to worry about completing the ROL via NMRP? I have a job as long as I pass CS before July?

thx

No, you do not "have a job as long as you pass CS before july", at least not exactly.

If you are an IMG or a DO or a graduated AMG (basically anyone but current 4th year US grads), then participating in the match is voluntary. You interview along with anyone else, but if you can get a program to offer you a spot before the match, you can sign, withdraw from the match, and you're good to go. Programs basically do this before the quota change deadline in NRMP, which is usually late January. This is called a "prematch".

Prematches are a mixed bag. The good news is that you have a job, don't have to bother with the match, and have a longer period of time to get a visa. The bad news is:

A. Not all programs offer prematches. In fact, in general the better programs do not offer prematches.
B. You might be put in the situation of accepting a prematch at your #3 spot, or staying in the match and hoping for your #1 or #2, with the downside that if you stay in the match, you could get nothing.
C. Some Prematches will ask you to sign a contract right away, and stop interviewing at other programs. This sometimes forces you to make a decision before you've seen all of your choices. Some people decide to sign the prematch, then keep interviewing, and if a new program offers a prematch, resign from the first. Some consider this unprofessional behavior. Some consider it normal human behavior.

My point was, if you don't mention your failed step and someone offers you a prematch and you take it, then, in that case, you will have a job as long as 1) you pass the steps in time to get a visa / license and can start on time, and 2) your contract doesn't say anything about not failing the steps.

No, you do not "have a job as long as you pass CS before july", at least not exactly.

If you are an IMG or a DO or a graduated AMG (basically anyone but current 4th year US grads), then participating in the match is voluntary. You interview along with anyone else, but if you can get a program to offer you a spot before the match, you can sign, withdraw from the match, and you're good to go. Programs basically do this before the quota change deadline in NRMP, which is usually late January. This is called a "prematch".

Prematches are a mixed bag. The good news is that you have a job, don't have to bother with the match, and have a longer period of time to get a visa. The bad news is:

A. Not all programs offer prematches. In fact, in general the better programs do not offer prematches.
B. You might be put in the situation of accepting a prematch at your #3 spot, or staying in the match and hoping for your #1 or #2, with the downside that if you stay in the match, you could get nothing.
C. Some Prematches will ask you to sign a contract right away, and stop interviewing at other programs. This sometimes forces you to make a decision before you've seen all of your choices. Some people decide to sign the prematch, then keep interviewing, and if a new program offers a prematch, resign from the first. Some consider this unprofessional behavior. Some consider it normal human behavior.

My point was, if you don't mention your failed step and someone offers you a prematch and you take it, then, in that case, you will have a job as long as 1) you pass the steps in time to get a visa / license and can start on time, and 2) your contract doesn't say anything about not failing the steps.

Thank you very much PD for answering my concerns, much appreciated :)

thx

ALso bear in mind that you have to pass the CS to be ECFMG certified, so you must pass it well before July if you plan on starting residency July 1.

You've mentioned in another thread that you won't graduate until "next summer". When is your graduation date exactly? Maybe I'm being pedantic here because summer doesn't actually start until June 21. I hope you are graduating before then. Because it takes several weeks to get your certificate after submitting all the documentation and you can't start residency without the ECFMG certificate.

ALso bear in mind that you have to pass the CS to be ECFMG certified, so you must pass it well before July if you plan on starting residency July 1.

You've mentioned in another thread that you won't graduate until "next summer". When is your graduation date exactly? Maybe I'm being pedantic here because summer doesn't actually start until June 21. I hope you are graduating before then. Because it takes several weeks to get your certificate after submitting all the documentation and you can't start residency without the ECFMG certificate.

Official graduation is early July. However, there is an early graduation that my school provides in June that I am planning on so I can get my degree and run, not walk, home. So, I should have the certificate by end June the latest.

Official graduation is early July. However, there is an early graduation that my school provides in June that I am planning on so I can get my degree and run, not walk, home. So, I should have the certificate by end June the latest.

Ok, I wish you luck...unless ECFMG is more efficient and faster than they used to be, July 1 is pushing it with an "early June" graduation. Its their busy season. :oops:

Ok, I wish you luck...unless ECFMG is more efficient and faster than they used to be, July 1 is pushing it with an "early June" graduation. Its their busy season. :oops:

Thanks. Hoping to get it to ECFMG by end of first week in June; postage is going to be a killer lol.

Thanks. Hoping to get it to ECFMG by end of first week in June; postage is going to be a killer lol.

If you need a visa, you will be unable to apply for it without your ECFMG. You may be overly hopeful about the ECFMG turnaround time. You should plan on starting late.

If you need a visa, you will be unable to apply for it without your ECFMG. You may be overly hopeful about the ECFMG turnaround time. You should plan on starting late.

Visa not an issue--I am a US citzen