worst case scenario

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CNphair

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First, sorry for the downer post. Perhaps it is the fact that my last three interviews ended with a question about what I would do if I don't match. Perhaps it is my husband finding the dismal match stats on the web. Regardless of cause, I am starting to feel the need for a more concrete back-up plan.

For those who are better at planning ahead than I or those who are going through the match for a second time...did you line research up in advance? If you take a year off (delay internship), is there any way a recent MD can get paid while doing research? Or is it time to move in with the parents?

My school does not have a rad onc program (my previous research is in heme/onc). Does anyone have any experience with going to another institution just for research purposes?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

CNphair said:
Perhaps it is the fact that my last three interviews ended with a question about what I would do if I don't match.

That's not uncommon to get asked that. You shouldn't take that as a negative. They're just trying to see how committed you are to rad onc. What they want to hear is that you are committed to rad onc and willing to do whatever it takes (within reasonable limits) to get in. What they don't want to hear is "I think I will try for Radiology".

Members don't see this ad :)
many people do research at other institutions for a year.

I asked the same question to the research director of rad onc of one of the institutions I interviewd, with whom I had the opportunity to have a telephone conversation. He said that by no means I should give up, and that he was willing to offer me a research fellowship for one year in his lab, which, according to him, will definitely improve the chances of matching. Putting that togather with the fact that two of the residents that I have met in that interview were comming right out of finishing fellowships in his lab...you can draw your own conclusion...with rad onc becoming more competitive this might change slightly but I definitely think that research fellowships are the way to go about it...or that is what my plans are....However, if you do research, pick your lab carefully! last time I was looking for a research assistant job it paid around $28,000-30,000...so...I might not have to move back with my parents....:)...(yet!)

I actually suggest you do your internship and make yourself available for any position that may open up during the year. Since you will no longer be bound by the Match rules, you can contact all the program directors and ask if they have any position. You will be surprised to find that some spots do open up, new programs are created or old programs get approved for more spots. There are also programs that traditionally pick people off match (USC comes to mind, I don't know if they still do that)

Make sure your letter writers know that you'll be reapplying so they may have to write new letters and send them to individual programs, like the old days. And of course, do participate in the Match for the following year just in case you don't get anything during the year.

If you've done research already, I think it'll be difficult to start a new research now and have anything of impact published by the time you apply next year. But, do make sure that any research you've done in the past get published before the next round of interviews. You can write manuscripts, etc. while working as an intern if you put a bit of efforts.

Now, I suggst you heed my advice that if you believe you should have matched by merit but didn't by dumb luck or some interview nervousness. If you have a flaw on your application, do remedy that before anything else.

I hope you won't have to do any of these, though. Good luck.

If you decide to do research, pick a lab wisely.
Picking a lab for purpose of getting into residency is a little different from picking a lab because your ultimate goal is to pursue science.
Talk to people who have successfully done this approach and matched well thereafter. There are some very supportive mentors who run highly translational labs, who are very supportive of helping students who are interested in academic radiation oncology.

Best of luck.

RADio goo goo said:
Picking a lab for purpose of getting into residency is a little different from picking a lab because your ultimate goal is to pursue science.
Talk to people who have successfully done this approach and matched well thereafter. There are some very supportive mentors who run highly translational labs, who are very supportive of helping students who are interested in academic radiation oncology.

Best of luck.

I have to emphasize how important this point is. You have to be sure what and who you are getting into. Make sure it is crystal clear what the expectations of the lab mentor are. If you are NOT interested in being the next big physician scientist in rad onc, you have to be sure you pick a mentor that understands your goals and desires...or else it could be messy. Picking the right one may be the difference between being productive (publishing, etc) and enhancing your application to get in versus grinding it out on a project that may or may not result in a paper or abstract. If you're ultimate goal is to do research as a pathway into rad onc residency, some hard-core lab researches may get the wrong impression that you are doing "bad science" because you want to get something out of it. Just be careful.

Thaiger75 said:
I have to emphasize how important this point is. You have to be sure what and who you are getting into. Make sure it is crystal clear what the expectations of the lab mentor are. If you are NOT interested in being the next big physician scientist in rad onc, you have to be sure you pick a mentor that understands your goals and desires...or else it could be messy. Picking the right one may be the difference between being productive (publishing, etc) and enhancing your application to get in versus grinding it out on a project that may or may not result in a paper or abstract. If you're ultimate goal is to do research as a pathway into rad onc residency, some hard-core lab researches may get the wrong impression that you are doing "bad science" because you want to get something out of it. Just be careful.

So do you think it matters where I do research if I ultimately have to take a year off? I would like to be close to home in Los Angeles but if necessary, I am willing to go to Texas (MDACC) or New York (MSKCC) to do it. How have people in the past approached this? Do you just email prospective faculty and ask if they are hiring research assistants? I have no connections with the above two institutions and would appreciate any help. Thanks.

jfanman said:
So do you think it matters where I do research if I ultimately have to take a year off?

Yes, it matters big time.

As Radio goo goo said:

Great advice.

Emailing faculty may be one way to start. However, faculty in big labs are sometimes notorious for not answering email b/c they are always busy. I recommend that you call them at let them know your intentions.

Anybody here have taken a year off and done research? Anybody done research in California at all? Can you post some of your comments and advice? Thanks.

Gfunk6 said:
Yes, it matters big time.

As Radio goo goo said:

Great advice.

Emailing faculty may be one way to start. However, faculty in big labs are sometimes notorious for not answering email b/c they are always busy. I recommend that you call them at let them know your intentions.