worst call schedule for intern year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MLB2000

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whats the worst call schedule that you have heard about for a prelim/transitional year??

Members don't see this ad.

With the 80-hour workweek, the worst call schedules are usually Q3, one day off in seven.

Yeah, that sucks--especially when you live 45 minutes from the hospital. The drive home post call is NOT fun.

Members don't see this ad :)
There have been times I've napped at the hospital post-call before I drove home, just because I was too exhausted to drive.

Ouch.

I hear my surgery friend at Loma Linda was Q2 for a few weeks because of a scheduling botch up.

My personal worst two weeks was the week leading up to Step III - Sunday call, Wednesday call, Saturday call, Monday-Tuesday test, then Wednesday call, Saturday call. The nice little extra touch was that the Sunday call had been added on as an extra call by my chief, who knew I was taking the Step on Monday :thumbup:

My worst two weeks were the second half of December - we had holiday scheduling come into play, so my general service/trauma team and another team were Q2 for over a week. That was painful.

I think I was on call Fri 12/16, Tue 12/20, Fri 12/23, Sun 12/25, Tue 12/27, Thu 12/29. 7 calls in 2 weeks. Ouch. Just thinking about it makes me wince.

During my internship I was on call for 5 straight days. I never left the hospital! Another intern was pissed off he didn't get christmas off, so he called in sick every day...which made the q2 call schedule q1 for me. On day 6 when he called in sick I went into the program director's office and cried, so I got the day off. My chief resident was a bastard.

signomi said:
During my internship I was on call for 5 straight days. I never left the hospital! Another intern was pissed off he didn't get christmas off, so he called in sick every day...which made the q2 call schedule q1 for me. On day 6 when he called in sick I went into the program director's office and cried, so I got the day off. My chief resident was a bastard.

maybe a silly question, but why weren't you on the phone to the acgme?

God that's brutal.

Just from bad luck during scheduling, I was on call for my birthday, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's and Valentine's Day. Argh.

Worst I head of? My old man did 3 months of 9 calls every 15 days. That's worse than Q2. Of course that was in 1964.

Ed

edmadison said:
Worst I head of? My old man did 3 months of 9 calls every 15 days. That's worse than Q2. Of course that was in 1964.

Ed

that's devastating. and here i thought my q3 with a few weeks of q2 mixed in were brutal. oh wait...they are.

signomi said:

That's bullsh*t. :eek:

How could your residency program let that happen?

What an a**hole - I would have hunted down that intern and given him a REAL reason he couldn't work

I was an intern 2002-2003...last year before the residency work hour rules went into place!

when i was an intern.. I was on call q 3d all year

NO POST CALL DAYS OFF... we would work til 5 pm easy the next day..

I asked one time to get off early... to go to my best friends wedding.. THE answer was NO>>>>.. I left the program at the end of the year .. left surgery completely..

rainking said:

I asked one time to get off early... to go to my best friends wedding.. THE answer was NO>>>>.. I left the program at the end of the year .. left surgery completely..

no f---ing way! are u serious? ALL YEAR? that's ridiculous

i did a rotation in korea and found out that the interns there (everyone does something like combination medicine/surgery prelim) do one week of q1 call every first week of the month, and are q2-4 the rest of the time. and there's no concept of post-call there either!! :scared:

KluverBucy said:
no f---ing way! are u serious? ALL YEAR? that's ridiculous

Way, man way.
I was q4 40+hours on call average work week 110+, I had call the day before and the day after my brother's wedding. I had someone drive me, slept on the way up and on the way back for the rehearsal dinner, then same for the wedding. They found out I was going up for the wedding and bitched me being out of town for the day. Brutal. I'm now in a far better place.

The program I was at regularly forgot about 1/7, 80 hours was a joke. Tell the ACGME? Why? They won't do anything about it unless you're a high profile place and someone is watching. If you do, then the program will find a way to fire you or make your life miserable. See the other thread on this site "Is there any truth to this???!!" which describes what happens if you say anything to the ACGME.

rainking said:

ALL the surgery interns I know do this regularly. In fact, the senior surgery residents' hours aren't much better.