Worst admissions staff in the country.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I kinda want to start a thread like this for Miami because why not. The horse is dead and beaten, but I'd feel better for doing so.

Maybe it'll get to 14 pages too :p

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
April 29th, 2012:
I feel like if I post here, I will leave my own mark that will be preserved into the future. So here goes!

If you are reading this in 2016, you win. :D

April 30th, 2013:
Wow, it's been a year and a day since I last posted in here. Sounds like that nurse will regret instilling a grudge in you. :D

May 9th, 2014:
April 29th, 2012

April 30th, 2013

Eh...sorta a year anniversary. Hehehe

Hey, it's now May 10th, 2015! Yay anniversary bump!

Reactions: 16 users
I was in kindergarten when this thread was posted. This thread is so old it would be finishing up its freshman year of high school. Is this the oldest thread that is still active today? It deserves an award.

I was in kindergarten when this thread was posted. This thread is so old it would be finishing up its freshman year of high school. Is this the oldest thread that is still active today? It deserves an award.
10/9/01, nevar forget

Also,
maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Shouldn't you be a doctor by now?

My posts span the range of 3 years (4 posts). Med school is 4 years. I joined SDN in high school (as you can see from my hSDN and hSDN alum badges), so no....

Reactions: 1 users
I think we need another bump here as the cycle progresses further and people are making their school lists (i.e., lots of users will be checking preallo for the first time and they need to know about this thread).

My posts span the range of 3 years (4 posts). Med school is 4 years. I joined SDN in high school (as you can see from my hSDN and hSDN alum badges), so no....
i.e., if you don't get into a top med school, you will have wasted all that time getting useful info...
(half kidding)

Reactions: 1 user
This thread looks legendary. I hope I won't be contributing much to it though.

i.e., if you don't get into a top med school, you will have wasted all that time getting useful info...
(half kidding)

But because I've been on SDN for so long, the neurotic hyper-achieving environment of SDN has taught me that getting into some med school is pretty formulaic. GPA/MCAT/ECs/LoRs/Apply to broad range of schools. I'm not too worried.

EDIT: Realized you said top med school. A guy can always dream, but in the end, being a doctor is the ultimate goal. I'd say to have gained so much knowledge about the process before starting college and being able to hit the ground running has made it all worth it.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely Howard. I live in the DC area and it's a known thing that Howard doesn't even catalog applicants, and most of the time they don't have a clue where your application is. Unless you call and probe them, or ask a connection to call in for you, your chances are slim.

And once you do call and probe them, and they have your app in front of you, they usually just give you an interview if your stats are good, and accept you. But, there were probably hundreds of more qualified applications that are just "lost."

This is a theme seen in their Dental Admissions as well. And it fits because I hear their school has been having real issues in past years. I'm honest surprised it still exists.

@Jalby: Thanks for your thread! I was going to apply to G-Town, but decided not to after reading this. Institutional mindsets do linger on even after people have left, and having an extra $100+ bucks is also nice.

I applied. I got an email this morning that they made an error in sending out secondaries yesterday, please disregard and kindly wait for the correct secondary invitation.

They still haven't gotten their **** together lol.

Reactions: 13 users
I applied. I got an email this morning that they made an error in sending out secondaries yesterday, please disregard and kindly wait for the correct secondary invitation.

hahaha

I was confused as well, but I received 2 secondary invites. Just disregard the second one

WOW.

I was confused as well, but I received 2 secondary invites. Just disregard the second one

Nope, I wasn't confused. I initially received only the erroneous secondary, then an email that it was an error and I should disregard. I just got this year's secondary, the correct one, a few minutes ago.

My initial comment stands: they still don't have their **** together.

Welp, definitely keeping Georgetown off my list now...

Posting for posterity, I hope to come back to see this thread alive and kicking if/when I graduate from med school. :)

Now that a new admissions season is upon us, this thread could be of use.

I wonder if anyone from GTown Admissions has read this thread.

What's Baylor's policy on accepting prerequisite quarter credits in lieu of semester credits? Who knows! The people at admissions "haven't been trained to answer that question."

I can't possibly be the first person to have this kind of issue. What the hell other types of questions does an admissions office even get, anyway?

I'm a little bit pissed right now. I hate Georgetown. I'm nominating them for the worst admissions committee in the nation.
Thanks for reading my post. I feel a little bit better now.

@Jalby --- thanks for the thread. I think young folk need to be warned about this BS -- it happened in my day, too. It is entirely appropriate this thread is still active.

What's Baylor's policy on accepting prerequisite quarter credits in lieu of semester credits? Who knows! The people at admissions "haven't been trained to answer that question."

I can't possibly be the first person to have this kind of issue. What the hell other types of questions does an admissions office even get, anyway?

Check out the Hopkins Admissions FB page for the hilarious stuff they have to deal with. Also, +1 for Hopkins for being so candid and helpful about admissions! :)

Last edited:
I wonder if anyone from GTown Admissions has read this thread.

Oh, I know they have read it. They tell people on their interviews that they can't believe everything they read online. I've probably cost them thousands of dollars by now. And I don't feel guilty because their entire admissions process is trying to game the system so they can say "We are super exclusive"

And last I checked a lot of the same people are still there. There is a person named Sullivan who is in charge of the department that was there back in the day.

Reactions: 3 users
I just have to post in this thread because it may cause Georgetown to revamp their admissions process.

LOL I'll watch out for him.
It's a her.

And sometime in the past 2-3 years someone had a situation exactly like mine. They were actually respectful to that person and changed their interview date without a problem.

It's a her.

And sometime in the past 2-3 years someone had a situation exactly like mine. They were actually respectful to that person and changed their interview date without a problem.

I love that you're still part of this thread. Keep up the fight!

I love that you're still part of this thread. Keep up the fight!
I keep thinking I'll move on, then I remember the words of their Dean of Admissions when he said "We are Georgetown University. We have thousands of applicants just like you who apply to our school" and then something about how prestigious they were.

And then yesterday I get tagged in a thread of the GU admissions and I read about how they talk about how they are very selective because they only accept a few people of the thousands who apply, but I know that's because they wait list everybody and only accept people who send in a letter of intent.

Definitely Howard. I live in the DC area and it's a known thing that Howard doesn't even catalog applicants, and most of the time they don't have a clue where your application is. Unless you call and probe them, or ask a connection to call in for you, your chances are slim.

And once you do call and probe them, and they have your app in front of you, they usually just give you an interview if your stats are good, and accept you. But, there were probably hundreds of more qualified applications that are just "lost."

This is a theme seen in their Dental Admissions as well. And it fits because I hear their school has been having real issues in past years. I'm honest surprised it still exists.
Completely agree with this. Howard's application/interview/post interview communication is horrible and they are immensely disorganized. I interviewed there twice and although I appreciated the community of students there, they're admissions staff is horrendous. Huge turn off for the school.

I interviewed twice at georgetown, competitive wait list both times. Sent letter of intent twice. Rejected ultimately twice. Hate them. Like thanks for wasting my time.

Completely agree with this. Howard's application/interview/post interview communication is horrible and they are immensely disorganized. I interviewed there twice and although I appreciated the community of students there, they're admissions staff is horrendous. Huge turn off for the school.
did you eventually end up in Howard or PCOM. How do you like med school so far?

I just want to point out that this was post number 666.

Reactions: 4 users
Just want a chance to post in this fine thread...

UC Irvine made me self-address and put a stamp on a rejection post card. This was in the 90s. I still hate them for it.
(it wasn't the official rejection, it was a card that said my app had been reviewed and was not currently being considered for an interview but close enough). I wrote on it that it was ok, I'd be happier somewhere else. And then sent it in. Never heard from them either way about an interview even after acceptance at a couple other UCs.

And, for the record, Irvine is creepy.

Reactions: 4 users
VCU still had a no ring, automatic "We'll be out of the office for July 4th" voicemail message when I called them in mid august. Its almost impossible to get a hold of anyone there

ALL OF YOU ARE WRONG
Hands down, NYMC!
It's not even a question.
People were placed on hold without even being complete yet!

Doubt it. Med school is a seller's market. For every one person who realizes how atrocious a certain school and/or their admission's process is, there are 1000+ applications of people who don't give a **** and just want to get in.
Unfortunately true.

In the DO world, I agree that PCOM is the worst. They have the strictest LOR requirements and communication with staff is nonexistent.

Sorry guys, but VCU's is the worst.
-sent out last year's secondary and didn't notify applicant when they changed the essay question to something else entirely
-didn't notify like 50% of applicants that they were granted a secondary (they screen heavily so a lot of us assumed we were screened out when in fact we weren't)
-incredibly rude/apathetic staff answering phones and email
-phone usually just rings endlessly until a voicemail chimes in saying they're closed for Fourth of July
-email addresses on website are incorrect and will bounce back to you. So difficult to get a hold of anyone.
-completely inefficient/unfair method of processing apps, so early July apps haven't even been looked at for some people bc their assigned reviewer is behind and there's nothing anyone will do about it.
-unreceptive to ITA requests so if you do jump through all these hoops and get an II, it's going to cost you if you're OOS

That said, a school's admissions staff is not representative of the experiences med students will have, so I'm trying hard to keep this in mind.

Guys this isn't a share your bad experiences with admission staff thread. We are here to malign Georgetown

Reactions: 10 users
Guys this isn't a share your bad experiences with admission staff thread. We are here to malign Georgetown

Oh right, yeah. Georgetown rejected me so I'm not a big fan of their admissions staff. :banana::banana::banana:

They saved you some time. The interview day was one of the oddest and most awful experiences I've ever had. They put us in a fish bowl and crank up the heat so we're all sweating, give us a rant on how none of us are unique, and my interviewer spent most of the time checking residency applications to later insult me.

Wait I can't tell if you're kidding or not haha

Out of the 30 (!) schools I applied to, Georgetown was not one of them. I didn't read this beforehand, but I am happy that I inadvertently contributed to Jalby's legendary grudge towards the school. This thread was started when I barely was hitting puberty. I hope it will be around when I finally (hopefully) become a practicing physician 10 or so years from now:D!

wow. a thread from 2001? insane. I really wanna know what OP has been up to since, lmfao.

Status
Not open for further replies.