Worried!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fbtmof

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I am new to this site, but am taking the mcat next spring and planning on applying that same time. As my judgment day is inevitably drawing closer day by day...I am starting to get worried about my stats.

cGPA-3.51
sGPA-3.35
50+ shadowing hours (with great LORS)
100+ service hours....tutoring, helping at risk kids....blah blah blah

My first concern is GPA. So what is the MCAT score I should aim for? Also which schools have stats similar to mine? Should I have more clinical/ extracurricular activities on my resume to become more competitive? Feed back would be greatly appreciated! THANKS!~

btw I am a white male...will this hurt me because my stats seem low??

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys I am new to this site, but am taking the mcat next spring and planning on applying that same time. As my judgment day is inevitably drawing closer day by day...I am starting to get worried about my stats.

cGPA-3.51
sGPA-3.35
50+ shadowing hours (with great LORS)
100+ service hours....tutoring, helping at risk kids....blah blah blah

My first concern is GPA. So what is the MCAT score I should aim for? Also which schools have stats similar to mine? Should I have more clinical/ extracurricular activities on my resume to become more competitive? Feed back would be greatly appreciated! THANKS!~

btw I am a white male...will this hurt me because my stats seem low??
Average stats for all students matriculating to AACOMAS DO schools are 3.48 cGPA, 3.36 sGPA, and 26.51 MCAT. If you aspire to attend the more selective schools, aim to get higher stats.

Your shadowing looks good, and hopefully includes a DO and primary care.

If all your service hours are nonmedical community service , you've made a nice start, so keep up the good work.

You don't mention clinical experience where you interact with patients (rather than passively observing, while shadowing). I strongly recommend you get this going as soon as you can, as the average applicant has 1.5 years. You can volunteer or work in a medical environment that puts you in proximity to patients in a hospital, clinic, nursing home, or hospice, among others.

Leadership, teaching, and research also strengthen an application.

Like Catalystik mentioned your stats are average, so to get into some of the "top" schools you need you MCAT to be a SD greater than the average 30+ ish... Not that it has to be, but it would help quite a bit. Try and get any clinical experience that you can, working with patients ect...