worried about CS results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tkeseth

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone, i'm a US IMG who took CS about two weeks ago. I think I did very well on the exam minus the following exeptions:

1. Did not close on 2 patients, simply ran out of time immediately after PE.
2. Did not counsel maybe 3-4 patients who didn't seem to have big issues. i.e. counsel a guy on EtOH who drinks 2-3 beers a week.
3. Interrupted a patient once on accident.

Other than those, I showed empathy nearly on all, took a good history and physical on all in retrospect, and wrote great notes with 5/5 DDX and plan.

My question is has anyone failed under similar circumstances? Or passed with worse?

Thanks everyone...this two month wait has me losing sleep...

Members don't see this ad.

The consensus SDN opinion is that you need to either have massive problems with CPUs/English or a catastrophic breakdown to fail. Statistically, there was probably one person in your group that failed, do you really think you were the one?

The consensus SDN opinion is that you need to either have massive problems with CPUs/English or a catastrophic breakdown to fail. Statistically, there was probably one person in your group that failed, do you really think you were the one?

Haha I love this! Thanks for your help guys!

I have one more question, everyone. During my closure i always gave a very brief statement and stayed very vague with ddx and workup. "ok mr. Smith, theres a number of reasons why you could be having diarrhea. We're going to want to run some routine blood work on you an possibly an imaging study of your abdomen. Do you have any questions?" i never gave the patient a specific ddx i.e: infection, ibd, etc. Do you think my simple closure will suffice or is that a big no no?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have one more question, everyone. During my closure i always gave a very brief statement and stayed very vague with ddx and workup. "ok mr. Smith, theres a number of reasons why you could be having diarrhea. We're going to want to run some routine blood work on you an possibly an imaging study of your abdomen. Do you have any questions?" i never gave the patient a specific ddx i.e: infection, ibd, etc. Do you think my simple closure will suffice or is that a big no no?

Dude....I did a formal closure on a grand total of 2 patients....ran out of time on the rest. I was a nervous wreck...forgot to do a MMS/neuro on an elderly pt w demetia...I even had one pt who promised me he'd quit smoking and I should get back to his stomach issues (not in a douchey way - I was running low on time). And still passed. You'll do great and will soon join the rest of us in shaking our fist the nbme for shelling out so much money this worthless exam.

No BS, if you wrote good notes, had 3-5 ddx and tests, were nice to your patients. You will pass. Remind yourself that you need to PASS this exam, which means do OK, not ace it. I'm sure you did OK. For now, relax. Get your mind right.

I am also very nerve wracking right now considering I have to wait over 2 months for the result.

I did not close in 2 cases. My main concern is my notes writing. I did not exclude some of the exams I did in the notes. I so scared that I might fail because of poor PN.

Any inputs?

I passed! Thank you to everyone who contributed to helping me here! You guys are awesome!

I just had an evulsion fracture of my 5th metatarsal. I'm going to be taking CS with a dang boot on my foot. Maybe some sympathy points ;)