Worried about anatomy- please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golfman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I take the beast on the 30th.

By far my weakest subject is anatomy. Although I do know the stuff in FA, if something that isn't in FA pops up I'm screwed. I hated our anatomy class 1st year and I haven't looked back since. I'm getting nervous with seemingly everybody taking the test saying there was more anatomy than they had though would be on there.

What do you guys recommend? I've read FA plenty, and will finish like my 5th pass next Wednesday. Here is my plan after that:

Thursday: 1/2 RR margin notes, and BRS anatomy SUMMARIES only, with some pictures so I know where certain blood vessels are (you wouldn't believe how much anatomy I've forgotten). And, of course, as much UW as I can fit in, hopefully around 100 questions to finish it up (I should be almost done by then)

Friday: Other 1/2 RR, and review my Pharm and Micro and possibly Anatomy (BRS) flashcards that I've annotated. And UWorld.

Saturday and Sunday: I should be done with UWorld. Will review some questions I marked as important and high yield. Also will review FA systems, I know I can't do a thorough pass of half the book in two days, but I just want to go through and get the big concepts one more time.

Monday and Tuesday: Review more questions from UW I marked, and also go through the 1st half of FA, also in kind of a summary, big picture kind of thing.

What do you all think, especially regarding anatomy?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
hey man, i'm in the same boat too. i'm totally screwed when it comes to anatomy. i can't visualize it through a "word" description. i have to see it to know what's going on.

i think doing those BRS anatomy summaries will be good, and maybe focusing on the UWORLD anatomy too should be good enoguh fro mwhat i'v ebeen told. let me know how you like BRS summaries. i need a good high yield book with quick images. gluck

hey man, i'm in the same boat too. i'm totally screwed when it comes to anatomy. i can't visualize it through a "word" description. i have to see it to know what's going on.

i think doing those BRS anatomy summaries will be good, and maybe focusing on the UWORLD anatomy too should be good enoguh fro mwhat i'v ebeen told. let me know how you like BRS summaries. i need a good high yield book with quick images. gluck

I'll let you know. I'm actual going to switch up my plan (I suck at plans) and do Anatomy tomorrow. I don't want to do it too close to my exam, because I would rather cram FA closer to my exam (more high yield than BRS anatomy summaries).

Who knows, it may end up being a waste of time. But half a day reading summaries and looking at anatomy pictures, which is by far my weakest subject (blood vessels, muscles, bones, etc...) will just put me more at ease.

Okay so I've spent about an hour in BRS Anatomy, got through about 80 pages.

The book is way too big. You can waste a lot of time in there. Basically what I did was reinforce what was in First Aid, with some more pictures. That's what I really needed were pictures so I could visualize certain things in my head (for example, I always have a hard time remembering the adductor pollicus is the ULNAR nerve, but when I saw the picture in BRA Anatomy it just made sense that it would innervated that way, and now I won't forget it).

DO NOT SPEND A LOT OF TIME IN THIS BOOK, THOUGH. IF YOU DO NOT LIKE TO SKIM BOOKS, DON'T EVEN TOUCH THIS ONE. Way too dense, way too much low yield info. Chapter summaries are nice, some clinical correlates are nice but maybe low yield.

FA should be plenty, but I needed a refresher in anatomy and the pictures are helping me visualize things.

Another 4 hours tomorrow and I should done with it. I think it was time well spent. I think any time spent over this would be very low yield. And only do this if you have everything down COLD in FA (at least the anatomy part).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I was in the same boat you guys were earlier in the week (took it yesterday) and its a crap shoot with anatomy. You will get some really easy questions that are right out of first aid and other like on my exam yesterday asking about how to analyze the pouch of douglas with biopsy... Sooo dont worry, if it something ridiculous most other people probably got it wrong too so it should even out (at least thats what Im telling myself). I wouldnt spend too much time on anatomy, spend that time going through Goljan's anatomy section and the rest of his 100 pg HY. Those notes are AMAZING, some of it is a little outdated, but its good.

even i have loads of problem with anatomy. i am planning to run through sections of kaplan to make sure i have done my bit.
i guess that is all what i am going to do.

iv been doing Kaplan for Anat. but I feel like its lacking but idk it might just be me becuase i am in the same situation....been AGES since i even touched anat. and now its def a concern with everyone talking about how much more anat is showing up on their exams.

anyone else use kaplan? or did ppl actually go through BRS Anat?

iv been doing Kaplan for Anat. but I feel like its lacking but idk it might just be me becuase i am in the same situation....been AGES since i even touched anat. and now its def a concern with everyone talking about how much more anat is showing up on their exams.

anyone else use kaplan? or did ppl actually go through BRS Anat?
i am going to start using kaplan for gross anatomy only. i have partly gone through upper and lower limb.