worms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Johnisit1234

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so is First Aid enough for the worms on step 1? it's probably my weakest area in micro, and i just wanted to see if FA worms were enough for the actual exam.

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd think FA would be enough unless you got really (un)lucky and had a lot of worm questions.

I had 2 worm questions and they were pretty much identical: a common worm (identify based on symptoms/appearance; did not give the name) and its drug treatment. Step 1 seems to love pinworm, hookworm, etc. There are only a few drugs and only a few important worms, so it shouldn't be hard to stuff those into your overloaded brain cells.

One other important worm-related thing is the Schistosoma/bilharzia/bladder cancer connection, which is not clearly set out in the FA worm table, vs. Chinese liver fluke/Clinorchis sinensis/cholangiocarcinoma. These are the only 2 worms that can give you cancer. I had a few NBME/Qbank questions on bilharzia and had looked it up (partly because I was so confused about schistosomiasis vs. Schistosoma vs. schistocytes).