"World Renown"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noht

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading an article about Ted Kennedy's brain surgery and that his doctor was "world renown." Who decided he was this? I'm guessing it's just the author's opinion.

Members don't see this ad.

I was reading an article about Ted Kennedy's brain surgery and that his doctor was "world renown." Who decided he was this? I'm guessing it's just the author's opinion.

Check out the guy here:
here.

He's written two textbooks, is the top neurosurgeon and neurooncologist at Duke, and his CV is 38 pages long. I don't think the author is going too far out on a limb.

He's actually a cool guy, too.

p.s. There are TONS of cameras outside the hospital. You'd think they'd give the man more privacy, but then again, this is the media I suppose.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

You can bet your life that if the physicians at Mass General are referring to a physician at Duke, that Duke physician is "world" renowned. Mass General does refer much to folks outside and when they do, it's because that outside person is in a class by themselves.

He's actually a cool guy, too.

p.s. There are TONS of cameras outside the hospital. You'd think they'd give the man more privacy, but then again, this is the media I suppose.

Yea, we had our brain tumor lectures a month or so ago and everyone talked about how he was world-famous and really superb at what he does. I live across the street from the hospital, and I am getting rather tired of the news helicopters buzzing constantly above my apartment for the past half hour.

You can bet your life that if the physicians at Mass General are referring to a physician at Duke, that Duke physician is "world" renowned. Mass General does refer much to folks outside and when they do, it's because that outside person is in a class by themselves.

Did you mean to say Mass General does NOT refer...?

Wow, this guy is awesome! A graduate of UIC I see. Someone should take this over to preallo, maybe it will help people stop freakin out about the whole top tier school nonsense.

Excellent point

I wonder what his ego is like. I'll probably never be in his situation, but I think I'd have a big head about it...

EDIT - just glanced at his CV. Only 192 publications? Come on, let's get going here! :D

Wow, this guy is awesome! A graduate of UIC I see. Someone should take this over to preallo, maybe it will help people stop freakin out about the whole top tier school nonsense.

I was thinking the same thing.

I wonder what his ego is like. I'll probably never be in his situation, but I think I'd have a big head about it...

EDIT - just glanced at his CV. Only 192 publications? Come on, let's get going here! :D

Apparently he's cool.

Maybe if he spent less time being cool and more time writing, he'd crack 2 bills in the publication department. Come on, Dr. Friedman! :laugh:

Edit - Prowler, you forgot to mention the 2 books, 54 chapters, and 75 abstracts!

Any man with a mustache like that deserves to be world renowned.

Members don't see this ad :)

I have a mustache almost identical to that one, only it's blacker and dirtier, and it's more "evil-trashy-biker-guy" than "well-respected-doctor."

I have a mustache almost identical to that one, only it's blacker and dirtier, and it's more "evil-trashy-biker-guy" than "well-respected-doctor."

You have big things ahead of you in your career, sir.

Ok, Ill weigh in on this...

1)Yes, thats the Osler -like rennaisaunce man type moustache!

2)Good q.. Because a lot of times the book "The best Doctors in New York" or "The Best Doctors in X" or where ever, is politically driven possibly by that author or publisher.. This time and we authenticated it.. He seems to be the "REAL DEAL"..

3)"The best Doctor in X" from what I see is a lot of times found by word of mouth... (with possibly many rapid fire positive testimonies+ credentials)

4)Contrary to surgeons being known for "little thinking", for what ever reason egos were put aside here and the best was found!

5)Unless Im totally wrong and that is the reincarnation of William Osler..

6)Seems like a lot of the Medical energy is on the east coast say between Mass General and Emory..:thumbup:

7)I think being the best in this field actually means putting the ego part aside, (to me thats part of how you become the best) [Its not about beating your self on the chest like some football player]..

8) Looking at his C.V.. The guy did a lot of hard core WORK.. Even if he wasnt the best he's the best now.. With many folks saying "I love you baby"

Last edited:
Apparently he's cool.

Maybe if he spent less time being cool and more time writing, he'd crack 2 bills in the publication department. Come on, Dr. Friedman! :laugh:

Edit - Prowler, you forgot to mention the 2 books, 54 chapters, and 75 abstracts!
a detail

I've had 5 surgeries with the guy (peripheral nerve) and he is awesome. Really nice guy. Gets along well with my dad. Totally kind to me. Really competent surgeon. I've definitely referred people to him.

That was the first thing I noticed.

Do you think it's easier to get "world renown" as a surgeon or a physician? It really seems like more of a surgeon thing to me.

Do you think it's easier to get "world renown" as a surgeon or a physician? It really seems like more of a surgeon thing to me.

Nah, we've got a "world renown" medicine guy hear heading up a fellowship. It's really a combination of superior knowledge/aptitude, networking, publishing, and having a strong personality (good or bad) so that people get to know you.

You could write a great book!

Pediatrician Dr. Benjamin Spocks book "Living well Baby" is suppose to be 2nd only to the bible in overall sales. So as a physician it can be done..

Also Osler was not known as a surgeon but could probably operate and suture..

With places like Mass General, Boston Hospital, and Harvard within a stone's throw, it's amazing and a bit of a slap in the face to those places that Teddy went to Duke for his surgery. Kudos to Dr. Friedman and Duke!

With places like Mass General, Boston Hospital, and Harvard within a stone's throw, it's amazing and a bit of a slap in the face to those places that Teddy went to Duke for his surgery.

Well it all depends on where the world's experts for any given disease entity lie.

Boston/Cambridge has MGH and the Brigham, but apparently Duke is better for this specific brain tumor.

It all has to do with mustache quality. Thickness, fullness, handlebars = authority, knowledge, confidence = Mustache.

No doubt about it.

img4390658c91612.jpg
the man

and from his lovely wife, Maude, and his two sons, Rodd and Todd.

Does thick, Osler like, rennaisaunce man mustache = more testosterone??? :confused:

Thick, manly mustache hairs contain an enzyme that converts ordinary testosterone into a much more potent hormone called badassterone, which increases intelligence, memory, visual acuity, pheromones, physical strength, and manual dexterity.

Thick, manly mustache hairs contain an enzyme that converts ordinary testosterone into a much more potent hormone called badassterone, which increases intelligence, memory, visual acuity, pheromones, physical strength, and manual dexterity.

Yes, we dissolved 5 alpha reductase!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That [the school he went to] was the first thing I noticed.

Actually, the fact that this is uncommon enough for it to be the first thing you noticed probably confirms medical school “tiers.” There is a reason “man bites dog” stands out more than “dog bites man”

Actually, the fact that this is uncommon enough for it to be the first thing you noticed probably confirms medical school “tiers.” There is a reason “man bites dog” stands out more than “dog bites man”

I don't think its uncommon. Prestigious physicians and surgeons tend to come from prestigious residencies, but the universities on the degrees are pretty varied.

No, it stands out because it opposed his perception, wholly unrelated positively or negatively to the facts of the matter.