world bank medicine questions to prepare for surgery shelf??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shejeboshease

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i alredy did most of medicine world bank questions for my medicine shelf, but i'm thinking of doing them again to prepare for my surgery shelf thats coming up in six weeks. there are over 1400 medicine questions..i just wonder if its worth doing them all over again....then again, i hear surgery shelf is pretty much like medicine shelf. what do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys, i alredy did most of medicine world bank questions for my medicine shelf, but i'm thinking of doing them again to prepare for my surgery shelf thats coming up in six weeks. there are over 1400 medicine questions..i just wonder if its worth doing them all over again....then again, i hear surgery shelf is pretty much like medicine shelf. what do you guys think?

Unnecessary, I would stick to GI and Hepatobiliary.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed. I thought just the surgery questions alone were sufficient, but GI and liver certainly won't hurt if you have the time.

I have been hearing sucked mixed reviews about Pretest and A&L questions for surgery. Some people say they helped while others say it was horrible. How could they be that bad????

I have been hearing sucked mixed reviews about Pretest and A&L questions for surgery. Some people say they helped while others say it was horrible. How could they be that bad????

I didn't get mixed reviews for Pre-Test. Everyone - residents, MS4's, posters here, have said it is terrible and useless for the shelf and after doing a few questions in there I would agree.

A&L is just really long so I don't know many who had the time. I did the practice tests and thought they were ok

Lawrence surgery: about 3/4 over the first month
NMS surgery: about 3/4 over the last 2 weeks, did the 4 question sets in the book
Case Files: whole thing, but half-hearted
PRE-TEST: whole book, then reviewed questions I missed the day before

95th percentile. Since it was essentially the only question resource I used and I had only taken Ob and peds prior to then, it can't be that bad. Obviously it wasn't my only study source either.

If you're looking for repetitive questions that are verbatim then you're wasting your time, but it covers most of the necessary TOPICS so you can review them. I agree that I would only do hepatobiliary and GI if you really wanted to accesorize with IM questions. Make sure you know trauma management and fluids/electrolytes. I tried an older edition of A&L which was TOTAL suckage (fragmented sentences, wrong answers, abysmal), so at least look at a new edition.

*Skip the effort on the nonsense questions as mentioned in previous threads.

I didn't get mixed reviews for Pre-Test. Everyone - residents, MS4's, posters here, have said it is terrible and useless for the shelf and after doing a few questions in there I would agree.

A&L is just really long so I don't know many who had the time. I did the practice tests and thought they were ok

Agree pre-test is pretty bad (especially for surgery). However, it is still better than not doing it all. 500 questions on minutae, you are bound to get a couple important ones, and the rest has the potential to fill in some gaps in your knowledge. Outside of UWorld and doing a medicine rotation, there really aren't great resources to study for this shelf, but pre-test still has some value if you have the time for it.

Oh, and Pestana notes = $$$$

Agreed. I thought just the surgery questions alone were sufficient, but GI and liver certainly won't hurt if you have the time.

in addition to GI and liver, i was thinking may be cardiology and respiratory questions from medicine should be helpful too for the shelf??? cause the people who are doing cardiothoracic subspecialty during surgery rotation would know a lot about heart and lungs.

in addition to GI and liver, i was thinking may be cardiology and respiratory questions from medicine should be helpful too for the shelf??? cause the people who are doing cardiothoracic subspecialty during surgery rotation would know a lot about heart and lungs.

There wasn't much cardio outside of acute things like aortic dissection, PE, and stuff like that. Wasn't much pulm outside of stuff like atelectasis and ARDS etc