Workup of Pulm Nodule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Med0000

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a moderately simple and straightforward text for workup of pulmonary nodule. Any ideas? I need the same thing for workup of MI.

I'm having trouble finding a good succinct resource on each.

Thank you for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

MI = myocardial infarction?

Why would a CT surgeon deal with this, specifically?

Or are you asking about surgical options for coronary atherosclerosis?

Members don't see this ad :)
I can find the info for MI. I was just having trouble finding resources on workup of pulmonary nodule. I'm not that familiar with CT surgery textbooks. I hope my attending doesn't mind info from emedicine. I agree it is a pretty good article.

I can find the info for MI. I was just having trouble finding resources on workup of pulmonary nodule. I'm not that familiar with CT surgery textbooks. I hope my attending doesn't mind info from emedicine. I agree it is a pretty good article.

Sorry, thought you just wanted an article to read, not to present to an attending. You should look at CTSnet; they'll have some primary source references there. Just do a search on solitary pulmonary nodule they'll come up.

Sorry, thought you just wanted an article to read, not to present to an attending. You should look at CTSnet; they'll have some primary source references there. Just do a search on solitary pulmonary nodule they'll come up.

Why are you thinking about a pulmonary nodule? Just send them to the internist (pulmonologist). You will drive yourself crazy thinking about all that stuff...you guys should just focus on the operating room. Let the internist round on the patients and do the followup on things like that.

The Solitary Pulmonary Nodule D Ost, AM Fein, SH Feinsilver NEJM 2003;348:2535-42

NEJM has good review articles which they put in their Clinical Practice section.

Why are you thinking about a pulmonary nodule? Just send them to the internist (pulmonologist). You will drive yourself crazy thinking about all that stuff...you guys should just focus on the operating room. Let the internist round on the patients and do the followup on things like that.

Hmmmm....I have very little interest in SPN. However, the OP, a presumed medical student was asking about it so I thought I would give him some direction.

A surgeon is perfectly capable of biopsing a SPN as is a pulmonologist or even IR depending on the location, skills, community standards and referral patterns.

Work-up of a SPN is a standard surgical in-training and Board exam question.

I work up solitary pulmonary nodules regularly. It's a fairly common incedental finding on my trauma patients who also often happen to be smokers. I don't bother refering these patients to internist because I can take care of it myself, and this patient population isn't going to pursue getting into another clinic for something that isn't bothering them.

This was a great article. Just wanted to say thanks everyone for the help.

The Solitary Pulmonary Nodule D Ost, AM Fein, SH Feinsilver NEJM 2003;348:2535-42

NEJM has good review articles which they put in their Clinical Practice section.