Workstation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Techguru2323

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for specific suggestions on a workstation. Not necessarily the computer but the desk and chair combo. I know I will be sitting for hours. With that in mind, I would like any opinions you may have

Members don't see this ad.

How much are you willing to spend? I have a desk chair that I love and will keep for the rest of my life, but it's upwards of $1000....

How much are you willing to spend? I have a desk chair that I love and will keep for the rest of my life, but it's upwards of $1000....

I'm not sure of the average prices but I'm willing to spend the money if the quality warrants the price.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've actually come to love the cheap plastic chair in my room. If I'm not studying there, I'm lying in my bed doing UWorld and Rx on my iPad :laugh:

Find out the type of studier you are first before investing. I knew people that had to attend class. I knew others that had to go to the library all day. Others (like me) spent days in the same bedroom and only went out for OMM day and groceries.

Reactions: 1 users
I made a similar thread last fall. General consensus was the Aeron if you have the cash to drop. I went with another chair off of Amazon for about $90, it's comfortable enough. But to be honest I do 90% of my studying sitting in a lazy boy recliner and have zero regrets about that.

I have a Workpro Quantum 9000 from Office Depot that I bought used a few years ago. I'm 200 lbs and sit more than half the day without having to adjust my bottom. My only regret is not getting a high back chair, but the Workpro is holding up so well that I can't bare to replace it any time soon. This chair is probably local to you so that's why I suggested it.

For a desk, it depends on your setup and needs. I have a flat ikea desk that I added a 4" high stand for my monitors and a storage tray underneath for small things. It's clean, simple, and cheaper than a pre-made setup.

Somewhat unrelated, but my biggest suggestion is to get one or two external monitors. I have a three external + one laptop monitor setup and it is AMAZING - both for personal use and for work. It can improve your workflow substantially. And these days, not-terrible 1080p LED monitors and mounts are pretty freakin cheap.

Reactions: 2 users
Somewhat unrelated, but my biggest suggestion is to get one or two external monitors. I have a three external + one laptop monitor setup and it is AMAZING - both for personal use and for work. It can improve your workflow substantially. And these days, not-terrible 1080p LED monitors and mounts are pretty freakin cheap.

+1. Two external 23" monitors + laptop is perfect for me. Right now, during dedicated, I have UW, FA PDF, and Anki open. It's fantastic.

As far as desks are concerned, if I had to do it all over again I would go with a convertible standing desk (like this: BEKANT Desk sit/stand - black-brown/white - IKEA). I was not built to sit for 12+ hours a day and it is killing me.

Reactions: 1 user
+1. Two external 23" monitors + laptop is perfect for me. Right now, during dedicated, I have UW, FA PDF, and Anki open. It's fantastic.

As far as desks are concerned, if I had to do it all over again I would go with a convertible standing desk (like this: BEKANT Desk sit/stand - black-brown/white - IKEA). I was not built to sit for 12+ hours a day and it is killing me.

I think 2 external monitors with laptop docked to them, hung with a VESA mount on an IKEA Karlby counter would be a gorgeous setup. You could put it on electronic sit/stand legs, too.

I sit on this chair at work; I really like it.

Anyone with suggestions on affordable external monitors?

I think 2 external monitors with laptop docked to them, hung with a VESA mount on an IKEA Karlby counter would be a gorgeous setup. You could put it on electronic sit/stand legs, too.

I sit on this chair at work; I really like it.

Anyone with suggestions on affordable external monitors?

That sounds like a sweet setup. I have 2x Acer 23" LED 1920x1080 monitors that have worked out well. They're great, especially since I was on a budget and were ~95 each. Not VESA mountable though so you'd have to re-imagine your masterpiece!

One 42 inch 4k tv = 4 x21 inch 1080 p panels.

What do you guys use to connect more than one external to your laptop? Is there a good splitter you can recommend?

No Alt + Tab'ing to switch between windows, much easier to keep a lot of information ready and available, and for personal use you can throw up a full-screen video and still have space available to do whatever it is you're going to do.

What do you guys use to connect more than one external to your laptop? Is there a good splitter you can recommend?

I don't use a splitter... I just use all of the available display ports. All a splitter would do is duplicate an image to two other displays - kind of pointless for personal use.

I don't use a splitter... I just use all of the available display ports. All a splitter would do is duplicate an image to two other displays - kind of pointless for personal use.
There are usb/firebolt docking stations that add additional monitor outs.