Working while taking a full load?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vmc303

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone taking a full load of classes and also working a significant amount? I'm looking at doing biology, chemistry, physics, and calc next semester, while also working 20 hours per week. Hour-wise, it's not *that* bad, but when you factor in having to drive back and forth between school and work, the random hour-long gaps in my class schedule, etc., I'll be leaving every day at about 7 am and getting back at 7 at night. And of course this doesn't include the studying I'll need to do for classes.

Does this sound do-able, or am I setting myself up for burn-out? I don't anticipate the classes being that hard, at least at this stage, but I'll need to ensure that I get A's in them. If I had solid time management skills, it wouldn't be tough, but I just completed college last year and am used to 15 hours of class per week and no other commitments. Looks like I'll have to change some habits...

Members don't see this ad.

You could, but boy you won't have much of a life. At least I wouldn't. Labs are notorious for being way more of a pain in the @ss than their 1 credit allotment would suggest. And work is always draining - hopefully you have one of those lab jobs where you just set up an experiment and then kick back and study the rest of the time. If you can pull this off, I salute you (but not in that goofy John Kerry way).

vmc303 said:
Is anyone taking a full load of classes and also working a significant amount? I'm looking at doing biology, chemistry, physics, and calc next semester, while also working 20 hours per week. Hour-wise, it's not *that* bad, but when you factor in having to drive back and forth between school and work, the random hour-long gaps in my class schedule, etc., I'll be leaving every day at about 7 am and getting back at 7 at night. And of course this doesn't include the studying I'll need to do for classes.

Does this sound do-able, or am I setting myself up for burn-out? I don't anticipate the classes being that hard, at least at this stage, but I'll need to ensure that I get A's in them. If I had solid time management skills, it wouldn't be tough, but I just completed college last year and am used to 15 hours of class per week and no other commitments. Looks like I'll have to change some habits...

Boy that is a lot of class time you are going to have. I have to agree with sidewalkman about the labs being notorious. Labs really are a lot of work especially when you are taking three labs at once. Labs are tedious and depending on your profs, some may cut the time down when it comes to writing reports and stuff but still.....I would really think about this. If you want to get A's.. unless you are one of those people who doesnt need to study, if so...god bless you. But taking those sciences and a calc class, I wouldnt even think about breathing let alone working. But, thats me, it takes me longer to process information and understand it.

Good luck!

I work full time while 2-3 science classes a term and volunteering a lot. It works for me because it's the way it has to be but it's not exactly fun. I try to designate certain weekends each month as non-study weekends to help preserve my sanity. But it is possible to do.

Good luck!