Working While In School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zalligan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it's a topic that has been covered a few times, and I've read the threads, however I feel my situation is somewhat unique.

I'm currently working and will be starting at DMU in the fall. My employer and I have recently began discussing me working remotely while I am in Des Moines for school. I would make my own schedule, and would probably only work 5 hours per week doing data entry on their website. It's not much but could put an extra couple hundred dollars in my pocket a month. If a week came along where I couldn't work, it wouldn't be a serious issue.

My questions are, would this be doable while in school? I would think so, as I only need to find an hour of time each day to sit down and upload some things.

Also, would it have any tax or FINRA implications? I know filing as a single independent, anything under ~$9500 doesn't need to be reported to the IRS, so this, in turn, wouldn't effect my allowable loans, correct? - I'll only be making ~$3000/yr

Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I worked part time, 10-15 hours a week, during the first 3 years. Like dtrack said, if you can work out a flexible schedule, I think it's doable.

I personally wouldn't do it, but everyone is different in the amount of studying they have to do to get the grades they want.

Why spend spend free time working? That amount of money is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

I will admit I had to study harder than average to get the grades I wanted though.

Definitely do it. A lot of people in my class work --- although they are doing "work studies" through our school. I am currently one of those people.

Honestly, you have free time your first year. Most people study an average of 4 hours outside of class during the day. This varies, especially when exams are near.

Also, it sounds like your job will result in a great letter of rec in the future. You definitely want to keep that relationship with an employer. :thumbup:

Thanks for the input guys!

Also, it sounds like your job will result in a great letter of rec in the future. You definitely want to keep that relationship with an employer. :thumbup:

Hoping so, though I'm not sure a job I've had through college would go a long ways towards getting me hired 7 years from now when I'm on the job hunt, or do they require LoRs for residencies as well?

Been with the business for 3 years and looking like 3 more coming if it all woks out! My boss also happens to be the executive director who runs the show, so it's a pretty sweet gig, and a big deal that she sees me as valuable enough to the company to have me continue working after I move.

I don't know of one person who works in my class... there was very little free time 1st semester. A little bit now, but I personally would take the free time to workout, do errands and the random socializing outside of school. 5 hrs a week would be more headache than it's worth, imo..for a couple hundo a month. Also, not sure a LOR from a very PT employer is going to carry the weight for residencies?

I think it really depends on the curriculum of the school you go to and how frequently tests are given. However, if there's a will there's way. You just might hate yourself when exams come up, especially if the extra money is not crucial.

I don't know of one person who works in my class... there was very little free time 1st semester. A little bit now, but I personally would take the free time to workout, do errands and the random socializing outside of school. 5 hrs a week would be more headache than it's worth, imo..for a couple hundo a month

agreed

i spoke to my current employer. we decided that once school starts i will switch from full time to per diem which requires me to maintain a minimum of 2 shifts per month. each shift is 8 hours and will typically be overnight (12am-8am). i plan to try 3 shifts a month which will add upto roughly $1100 in my pocket. lets see how it works out...

i spoke to my current employer. we decided that once school starts i will switch from full time to per diem which requires me to maintain a minimum of 2 shifts per month. each shift is 8 hours and will typically be overnight (12am-8am). i plan to try 3 shifts a month which will add upto roughly $1100 in my pocket. lets see how it works out...
unless you are coming in as a january student i would highly recommend against taking that job, unless you are in desperate need of that money. i know if i had to do overnight shifts several times per month i probably would have failed a class, or at the very least it would have affected my overall academic performance. and with the residency shortage you don't want to have a bad grades.

Members don't see this ad :)
I find it interesting that people who probably spend 5 hours per week on SDN are telling others they won't have 5 hours to work...

I'll assume that was targeted at me.

Taking 5-10 minutes away from studying to mess around on the internet is not the same as working a 5 hr shift. Completely different situations. I also said "why spend free time working?"

But like I said. Everyone is different and some have to study harder than others to get the grades they want. I already admitted that I feel I need to work a little harder than most to get the grades I want.

Taking 5-10 minutes away from studying to mess around on the internet is not the same as working a 5 hr shift. Completely different situations. I also said "why spend free time working?"

5 hours/ week is also different from a 5 hour shift. Could be 1hr/day 5 days a week, could be 2.5hr/ day 2 days a week. Doesn't matter how you get it in.

5 hours/ week is also different from a 5 hour shift. Could be 1hr/day 5 days a week, could be 2.5hr/ day 2 days a week. Doesn't matter how you get it in.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, but I still don't think a few hundred bucks is worth it in the grand scheme of things. Grades are important when it comes to residency placements. Which ultimately may help decide your future income and job offers.

But you may be one of the people who don't have to study as much to get the grades. You will not know until you start.

I'll assume that was targeted at me.

No, just a generalization to anyone commenting on specifically not having "time" to work. I have classmates who won't work out with me the day before a test (for example) because they "don't have time" and "have to study"... yet you can catch them spending the same amount of time on facebook, twitter, lolcats, or whatever else tickles their fancy.

I have no problem with people spending free time how they'd like. It's the "I/You don't have time" excuse that I've never understood...

I have 3 small part-time jobs at nycpm but none of them require 12a-8a shifts. They are like 1 or 2 hours during the day or early evening which is way less disruptive to your academic life. I think having a job is totally doable, just not one with the hours that bubba posted.

Most work study pays $12/hour. Just tutor the underclassmen. Easy work and you learn while doing it. Why work hard at another job to make 1/8 of what you'll make per hour in the future. Focus on your studies.

Most work study pays $12/hour. Just tutor the underclassmen. Easy work and you learn while doing it. Why work hard at another job to make 1/8 of what you'll make per hour in the future. Focus on your studies.

My current job pays more than that and it's really easy work. Essentially just uploading pdfs to a website. I will probably look into tutoring after my first year though.

My current job pays more than that and it's really easy work. Essentially just uploading pdfs to a website. I will probably look into tutoring after my first year though.

Ditto. The per diem job I spoke of is $51/hour. That's why $12/hr would suck =/.