Working While in DPT program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CJonesrun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are any of you currently students that work? While I haven't been accepted yet (applied at UCF), I'm seriously panicked about trying to support myself and my husband while in school. My husband makes lousy money and is working on his Bachelor's; I worked full-time while doing my MEd and got a 4.0, but DPT should be far more challenging. Since I graduated with my BA in 1996, I retook a few classes (my lowest grades) locally and got 2 A's and one B (one point from an A, part of points lost when I chose to attend a funeral for a family member instead of class). I'm 37 and don't have the option not to work. Does anyone do it?
My teaching job is 4 nights a week, about 30 hrs. I'm thinking of recertifying with NASM for CPT and CES to try to make money that way, along with a part-time online teaching job that I have.
Of course, if I don't get in, all of this worry could be for nothing. But then I might try to get in the nursing BA to BSN bridge program and then a nurse practitioner program with an ortho focus.
Or, buy lottery tickets, donate massive sums of cash to get acceptance and go from there....:laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've experienced so far, it's nearly impossible to hold down a regular job in this program :p Which is really unfortunate considering how much debt we accumulate!

Your classes are pre-scheduled for you, so there's not much choice in putting that together aside from some labs here and there. In addition to that, I found myself attending labs that I wasn't registered for because our teachers held reviews for exams in those time slots. We also had combined labs sometimes. So, even though you think you have 4 hrs to kill, you might end up having to go anyway. What I'm trying to get at is they pretty much assume you will not be working and don't have lives outside of school haha.

That being said, I do have a position as a TA teaching undergrads first aid/CPR. My schedule is very flexible though and the time commitment isn't big (probably 5 hrs/wk). There are some weeks that I have to put in 12-15 hrs and it's very difficult for me. If I had to do that regularly I probably wouldn't have kept the job. Studying has to be #1. There are a few students in my class who were granted work study, and all they could do was 1-2 days a week (3-4 hr shifts). If you can find something that will be flexible with you, then great. Just don't overload yourself because school will be stressful enough as it is!!

I don't this type of grad school is the same level for the most part as Masters in Education programs. One can be designed for a working teacher, the other is for a full time student.

Most every program I've seen does not recommend having a full time job, sometimes they'll explicitly say this on their website/handbook. It's not impossible to work and go to DPT school, and I've known some to do it. I've heard 10-15 hours a week max. These usually were jobs that were either not terrible demanding, highly flexible, and/or easily scheduled during off times (weekend).

You're paying/investing money and time into the program, so it would be smart to invest your all to be the best clinician you can. The easiest way to save money is to reduce your debt load in a variety of ways from tuition, scholarship, lifestyle choices.

Patients are depending on your superior knowledge of the PT field on the other side. Take this opportunity by the horns and make sure you're not selling yourself short. Everyone will be different, some can do it better than others. I'd try half a quarter/semester of minimal to none hours first and then ramp up depending on your performance academically. That should be your first priority.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a first year DPT at a different school, but agree with the other posters. You won't be able to work full-time: I did that once before a few years back in grad school where my schedule was much more flexible and I crashed and burned. It will be impossible to do that during a DPT program unless you attend a weekend only program. In fact, many programs frown on you even working part time. I know some who do work part time (10 hours a week or less), but they work as a PT Aide on their day off and have flexibility, so they can get the day off when needed. You could consider workstudy if it has flexible hours or if the program has TA positions, you can do that later on in the program.

Baby steps, focus on getting in. After you get in, then worry about paying for it. Better yet, get in, get your education, then figure out how to pay for it (that seems to be the consensus on here at least).

i just finished my first semester and i worked basically every saturday and a couple sundays (through thanksgiving...i work at a golf/country club). a part time job is definitely doable if you can budget your time appropriately. that said, a full time job is not possible. youre in school basically all day, and you need to study a lot every night. it sucks but its the truth.

Thanks all. I have to face that I am NOT superwoman. We've been saving, my car is paid off, and overhead is low. I'm thinking that my part-time online teaching job, which requires about 2-4 hours a week, will have to cover the bills and the rest of the goodies will have to wait 3 years. IF I get in. After a semester or two I can see if I can teach a few spin classes or take weekend personal training clients. And since they let you borrow more than tuition for living expenses...it'll work.

I got a call from the PT department and graduate admissions had lost my transcripts. Turns out, undergrad admissions had one set and the rest were filed but not with my application, they were in a "hold" file under my maiden name.

So I guess that means that my GRE and other stuff at least has me being considered...otherwise, I have to decide between applying out of the area and moving, or looking at a nursing track. Sigh. I'm too old for this stress!!

As far as I know, we had two people with jobs in my starting class. One failed out, which may or may not have had to do with working. The other worked only on weekends, only some of the terms, as the guy in the costume people hired for their kid's birthday.

A buddy the year behind us lost his financial aid, and had to work all through his internships. Leave one unpaid job, drive like mad to make it on time at the grocery store.

I've worked all through DPT school, and I am nearing the end of my second year. I've worked anywhere from 5-22 hours per week depending on the semester. Currently I'm only working 5 on Saturdays, but I am seeking out a second part time job with hopes of getting at least 20 hours or so there. Many of my classmates have picked up part time jobs throughout the course of the program.

The best advice would be to not work and hit the lottery, but I really feel like it's an individual choice. Some people need more sleep, more down time and 6 hours a night to study. Others like to sleep 5 hours, always be overextended and don't need as much time with the books. The ability to work is going to vary from one person, school, and semester to another. You might be able to work 20+ hours one semester and none during another. I would say that for the most part a part-time job is very reasonable, as long as you keep in mind that there may be a semester or point in time when it's just not possible. You can't rely on it totally.

My "full time" job is 4 nights a week, about 28 hours. It pays the bills and I get some down time where I study, but sometimes I'm crazy busy all night. But I also teach online, and that doesn't take more than 15-20 minutes on even the busiest days. So maybe I'll look at trying to pick up a couple of online classes at a time to have some money coming in. My husband makes half what I do, and we need to pay the rent, buy food, etc.
So how do you handle the regular expenses of living if you don't work? I have a small 401k and some savings, but no where near enough to handle all of the expenses for 3 years.

Baby steps, focus on getting in. After you get in, then worry about paying for it. Better yet, get in, get your education, then figure out how to pay for it (that seems to be the consensus on here at least).

What the cold reality is, though, is that it's not so much paying for school- it's affording to pay your bills/live while you are NOT working while in school. That's the situation I'm in... I'm not worried about how I'm paying for school, I will get loans... I am worried about how I'm going to put gas in my car, buy groceries, pay the electric bill, etc. My boyfriend makes a decent living, but he can't support the both of us 100% with a car payment, a morgage payment, etc... It gets to be quite overwhelming.

What the cold reality is, though, is that it's not so much paying for school- it's affording to pay your bills/live while you are NOT working while in school. That's the situation I'm in... I'm not worried about how I'm paying for school, I will get loans... I am worried about how I'm going to put gas in my car, buy groceries, pay the electric bill, etc. My boyfriend makes a decent living, but he can't support the both of us 100% with a car payment, a morgage payment, etc... It gets to be quite overwhelming.

I am in exactly that position. I don't know if I can actually go three years without working. I know that I can teach online, but that's not enough money, and I know that in some cases you can borrow more than tuition to cover living expenses, but do I really want to be paying student loan interest on loaves of bread and gas for my car? If I get into my top choice, I might get a motorcycle--gas is way cheaper and usually better parking. Sounds great until one of those Florida thunderstorms rolls through!

My interview is tomorrow. I need to survive that, with a fever going from 100 to 102 for the last two days, a sinus infection and cough. But I got a great new suit and at least I'll look good. I'm completely freaking out!! I want this so badly I just don't want to mess it up.