Working way up to Pharmacist Position

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mercerpharmacist

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

So we all know the job market is tough. I met a senior Pharmacist recently and he told me that in my huge city, his (major) chain hardly hired anyone. This goes to show how badly the market has become in major cities (where obviously most people want to work).

So my question is this. If one were in their college years to get a Pharmacy Tech position at a Pharmacy location they really liked, and then tried to get a Pharmacy Intern position at that same Pharmacy during Pharmacy School, would they have a good chance of getting a full-time position at that same Pharmacy location once they graduate?

I for one (if I choose to go into Pharmacy), really, really like this one retail chain location due to its patients/area/etc, and they have Pharm Tech positions open. I wanted to know the likelihood of working my way up in that one location.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello All,

So we all know the job market is tough. I met a senior Pharmacist recently and he told me that in my huge city, his (major) chain only hired two graduates. This goes to show how badly the market has become in major cities (where obviously most people want to work).

So my question is this. If one were in their college years to get a Pharmacy Tech position at a Pharmacy location they really liked, and then tried to get a Pharmacy Intern position at that same Pharmacy during Pharmacy School, would they have a good chance of getting a full-time position at that same Pharmacy location once they graduate?

I for one (if I choose to go into Pharmacy), really, really like this one retail chain location due to its patients/area/etc, and they have Pharm Tech positions open. I wanted to know the likelihood of working my way up in that one location.

Thanks!
My chain didn't do that because coworkers didn't respond well to their peers becoming their boss. Also, the timing of there being a job opening in your store when you get licensed is unlikely.

By the time you get out of school with a PharmD (2022-23):

The current healthcare model will have collapsed. The math makes it a lock.

The big retail chains will be struggling under maturing debt in a rising interest rate environment.

The Deep State sponsored players such as Alphabet, Amazon, and probably others not yet formed, will be taking market share from Wags/CVS/RA merged entity. Big Data will use a model minimizing human labor, leveraging robotics, AI, and standardization of care.

Let's be realistic. The number of FTE needed for pharmacy will be going down...even with boomers graying.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My chain didn't do that because coworkers didn't respond well to their peers becoming their boss. Also, the timing of there being a job opening in your store when you get licensed is unlikely.
Oh wow I can see that.

By the time you get out of school with a PharmD (2022-23):

The current healthcare model will have collapsed. The math makes it a lock.

The big retail chains will be struggling under maturing debt in a rising interest rate environment.

The Deep State sponsored players such as Alphabet, Amazon, and probably others not yet formed, will be taking market share from Wags/CVS/RA merged entity. Big Data will use a model minimizing human labor, leveraging robotics, AI, and standardization of care.

Let's be realistic. The number of FTE needed for pharmacy will be going down...even with boomers graying.

Very true. Thanks for your input

Just curious, which major city are you referring to? Atlanta?

I am pretty curious which chain you really, really like.
Not really the chain itself, but it's a location and patient base that I really like. I'd rather not say the name just not to start that discussion

Reactions: 1 user
Not really the chain itself, but it's a location and patient base that I really like. I'd rather not say the name just not to start that discussion

I understand. I liked the chain I worked for when I was an intern, or at least I liked my location and coworkers, for the most part. I get it.

Assuming there's a pharmacist opening at this store when you graduate, you'll be as likely to get that store as a new grad with no previous work experience in the company.

Actually, I'd say your chances may be even worse than someone without prior experience- as an experienced tech and intern turned pharmacist, the DM will likely want you to take on the "challenge stores" in your district and not the ideal location you desire.

Don't get too attached to anything in pharmacy. It's all changing too rapidly. CVS/Wags are buying up everything, closing stores, and cutting corners. Provider status can't save us (and will probably make things worse), and pharmacy programs are lowering standards all the time. The NAPLEX is harder now, but it's only a matter of time before APhA demands lower standards for that too. With the saturation, you'll be lucky to have any job at all, let alone a job in the store of your choice. Unless you plan to open your own pharmacy, this career is no longer worth your time and money.

Reactions: 3 users
Back in 2013 my district only hired 3 out of many graduating interns. Those 3 had to float for a year or two before getting a store that was usually one of the crappier ones to work in. Everyone else had to move across the country or go to other companies to find jobs. I imagine it will only be worse in 2022 or whenever you intend to finish. They will probably require a retail residency or some nonsense like that.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Very true. Imagine being a clueless new hire and then being the boss of the person who trained you. Combine that with the fact that you are making so much more money and people start acting a little funny. I was a clueless tech at one point and some of the career techs didn't even respond well to the fact that I could do more than them as an intern. Some people get really bent out of shape over stupid little things like this.

Assuming there's a pharmacist opening at this store when you graduate, you'll be as likely to get that store as a new grad with no previous work experience in the company.

Actually, I'd say your chances may be even worse than someone without prior experience- as an experienced tech and intern turned pharmacist, the DM will likely want you to take on the "challenge stores" in your district and not the ideal location you desire.

Hold on a sec -- so now, people are advised to NOT work as techs/interns while in pharmacy school? I thought it was the other way around (I.e., it is highly recommended to work as an intern for a chain/hospital someone hopes to work for as a pharmacist when they graduate in a few years)? Would an intern who has worked for 2-3 years for a chain really be passed over if there happened to be an opening in the district they worked in around the time they graduated?

Hold on a sec -- so now, people are advised to NOT work as techs/interns while in pharmacy school? I thought it was the other way around (I.e., it is highly recommended to work as an intern for a chain/hospital someone hopes to work for as a pharmacist when they graduate in a few years)? Would an intern who has worked for 2-3 years for a chain really be passed over if there happened to be an opening in the district they worked in around the time they graduated?

I think the OP wants to work at the same individual store that he interns at, not just for the same company. Pretty unlikely that there would be an opening at the exact time that you graduate and even if there was, as the other poster was saying, it might be awkward for someone to become their coworkers boss overnight when they go from intern to pharmacist so companies might intentionally try to avoid this. Techs might lack respect or take advantage of the situation.

I think the OP wants to work at the same individual store that he interns at, not just for the same company. Pretty unlikely that there would be an opening at the exact time that you graduate and even if there was, as the other poster was saying, it might be awkward for someone to become their coworkers boss overnight when they go from intern to pharmacist so companies might intentionally try to avoid this. Techs might lack respect or take advantage of the situation.

Now I get it. I am about to apply for my intern license (I guess dental/DO school isn't happening) and plan to get an intern job (I guess I'll just start out at 1 day/week?) next semester, and I was thinking about applying to intern at a chain grocery store location ~3 mins. down the road from where I live, due 2 factors: 1.) Convenience, and 2.) They say it's one of the "good" chains to work for. But if I'm planning/hoping to have a career with the same company after I graduate from pharmacy school and would possibly like to work at that location (I know, unlikely that it will have a job opening, but you never know), should I purposefully intern at a different location of the same chain?

Now I get it. I am about to apply for my intern license (I guess dental/DO school isn't happening) and plan to get an intern job (I guess I'll just start out at 1 day/week?) next semester, and I was thinking about applying to intern at a chain grocery store location ~3 mins. down the road from where I live, due 2 factors: 1.) Convenience, and 2.) They say it's one of the "good" chains to work for. But if I'm planning/hoping to have a career with the same company after I graduate from pharmacy school and would possibly like to work at that location (I know, unlikely that it will have a job opening, but you never know), should I purposefully intern at a different location of the same chain?

Finding an intern position is not easy. Why would they pay you when they could have rotation students for free? You should not limit your choices to only that one store.

Thanks for all of your insights everyone! I think the SDN community has really made me sit down and seriously rethink Pharmacy. I guess that I had this somewhat romanticized version of the career (which I think the career actually was in the 80's and 90's, as well as the earlier part of the 2000's), where you have Pharmacies with job openings right down your street, strong salaries, good working shifts, and ample opportunity for advancement. Unfortunately, that's just not the case.

I think that I'm not going to continue on this path anymore. The risk is too high and the opportunity cost is just risky. Unfortunately, Pharmacists did not (for whatever reason) preserve their profession. It's just a pity to me. I'm glad that I'm at an early part of my career where I can go down the Pre-Dental path (which also interests me) or such.

I really thought that some of the opinions on the SDN forum were just people with bad experiences in Pharmacy initially, but unfortunately, these opinions are an overwhelming theme.

I'd like to thank everyone for being honest about the profession as a whole. In my opinion, it will take SERIOUS changes to mend this broken market - but that's another story.

All the best to those currently in this profession.

Thanks for all of your insights everyone! I think the SDN community has really made me sit down and seriously rethink Pharmacy. I guess that I had this somewhat romanticized version of the career (which I think the career actually was in the 80's and 90's, as well as the earlier part of the 2000's), where you have Pharmacies with job openings right down your street, strong salaries, good working shifts, and ample opportunity for advancement. Unfortunately, that's just not the case.

I think that I'm not going to continue on this path anymore. The risk is too high and the opportunity cost is just risky. Unfortunately, Pharmacists did not (for whatever reason) preserve their profession. It's just a pity to me. I'm glad that I'm at an early part of my career where I can go down the Pre-Dental path (which also interests me) or such.

I really thought that some of the opinions on the SDN forum were just people with bad experiences in Pharmacy initially, but unfortunately, these opinions are an overwhelming theme.

I'd like to thank everyone for being honest about the profession as a whole. In my opinion, it will take SERIOUS changes to mend this broken market - but that's another story.

All the best to those currently in this profession.
This is kinda what happened to me.
I, thankfully, have a Gucci ass independent job very close to where I want to live.

Before that, I did my time. 9 months of 1hr, 56 mile commute, followed by 1yr 10 months of an 89 mile commute.

When I graduated high school, pharmacists were getting 5 figure signing bonuses, BMWs, etc...

It all started crashing my p2 year

I, thankfully, have a Gucci ass independent job very close to where I want to live.

Before that, I did my time. 9 months of 1hr, 56 mile commute, followed by 1yr 10 months of an 89 mile commute.

When I graduated high school, pharmacists were getting 5 figure signing bonuses, BMWs, etc...

That's crazy. Five figure signing bonuses and BMW's? That's amazing.

There's no excuse for someone pursuing pharmacy today to not be informed of the risk, so they can't really graduate then complain about the lack of opportunities. People like us? We got suckered big time. All we ever heard was sign on bonuses, >10% salary increases every year, you can pick your city, pick your job, and name your price. Then we had a perfect storm of massively increased production of pharmacists coupled with a recession and now it just seems to get worse every single year. We should have known it couldn't last, but when you're 18 it can be hard to see past the positive aspects of the career.

I wonder what sort of jobs are out there with comparable pay? Gotta have a backup plan for when this whole thing finally implodes.

There's no excuse for someone pursuing pharmacy today to not be informed of the risk, so they can't really graduate then complain about the lack of opportunities. People like us? We got suckered big time. All we ever heard was sign on bonuses, >10% salary increases every year, you can pick your city, pick your job, and name your price. Then we had a perfect storm of massively increased production of pharmacists coupled with a recession and now it just seems to get worse every single year. We should have known it couldn't last, but when you're 18 it can be hard to see past the positive aspects of the career.

I wonder what sort of jobs are out there with comparable pay? Gotta have a backup plan for when this whole thing finally implodes.
That's just sad to hear. I think in terms of jobs with comparable pay, going into Computer Science (at the PhD) level in an area such as security or data analytics will easily get you in that Pharmacist-salary bracket. With big data, you're looking at even higher mid career.

More time than not you'll have a RPh job waiting for you after being intern within the same company- just don't bank on it being at the cushy store you intern at like the OP describes.