Working very part time during school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mechanictodr

Dropin' it like it's hot
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So for all you currently in school. Is it possible to work a very part time (8 or so hours per week) job during medical school? I have worked a minimum of 20 during undergrad and I find it kind of therapeutic to do something not related to science or medicine on the side. I also like having some of my "own" cash to spend on things every now and then.

If I could find something flexible or say something every Friday or Saturday night could it work?

Members don't see this ad.

So for all you currently in school. Is it possible to work a very part time (8 or so hours per week) job during medical school? I have worked a minimum of 20 during undergrad and I find it kind of therapeutic to do something not related to science or medicine on the side. I also like having some of my "own" cash to spend on things every now and then.

If I could find something flexible or say something every Friday or Saturday night could it work?

Considering a lot of medical students are also raising children, etc, I don't think its entirely unreasonable to work a few hours a week - I'm thinking of keeping my current job and just switching my status from part time to per diem (2 shifts a month).

That's what I want to do as well. A lot of schools state that they strongly discourage students from getting jobs because it will hurt their academic performance, but I figure a lot of people do volunteer and research type stuff as well as having family during school so why not work and make a buck or two while doing something that takes my mind off of medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I worked throughout my first two years of medical school as an EMT. The hours were flexible (mainly nights), and I still had time to study and go to class every day.

That being said, when I started out I did not work that many hours because I wanted to see how much work medical school would be.

Now that I am a third year, it's a bit harder to get hours in but I still manage to now and then. Loans don't tend to pay for everything.

....If I could find something flexible or say something every Friday or Saturday night could it work?

Could it work? The question should be could it work for YOU. Some people could do it and others wouldn't be able to do it. Working anywhere was strongly discouraged by my school but I did it during the first two years. I taught Anatomy and Physiology classes at a nursing school from 5:30 to 10:30PM, Monday thru Friday. I borrowed about 50 thousand less than my classmates because I had a decent income for two years.

Honestly...I wouldn't make that your goal, at least right off the bat. The bottom line is you won't know until you start how much you can work. Right now look at it as a supplement to your loans and some extra cash. Once you figure out how much studying it will take you to get through the material and get some decent grades, then add some more work in.

It's definitely possible. I wouldn't be concerned about not specifically having the time, but more about the do you really want to spend your free time working factor. Yes a little extra cash is nice, but is it really worth giving up some me time to do so. I would start with the minimal amount of hours in the beginning and see how you like it.

The only problem I see is flexibility, your school schedule is going to demand things of you at different times each week/month, so unless you can absolutely predict how much time you're going to need for that physiology test, that 8 hours may become something that you REALLY wish you hadn't given up that week. If you can find a job that works for you with the kind of schedule you'll have to keep then go for it. I totally understand wanting something on the outside. I kept one of my jobs (but it's only a weekend thing a few times a year) and it was my sanity :)

Definitel doable.

I worked between 12-24 hours a week night shift as a medical technologist in the hospital lab during my 1st and 2nd year. It was night shift so I would work and then go to am class andthen go home and sleep for a while then wake up and study. Mind you I only did this 1-2 nights per week so wasn't overkill. Considering I am doing much more as a resident it was pretty easy. If you need a lot of sleep then I wouldn't recommend it.

VJWDO