working to pay for post-bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jubaju

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have to work at the cheesecake factory to pay for my postbac classes. My parents footed my undergrad bill, but as of January 2007, I'm officially cut off. I make LOTS of $$ but it has no relevance to the doctor that I'm going to be. Is that bad? should I be looking for a more 'relevant' job?

Members don't see this ad.

Doesn't matter what you do, as long as it pays the bills best. However, if you'll be working during your postbac, I suggest taking out a loan instead- itll be difficult to do both given the workload. Id rather be in debt than risk doing poorly because of less time dedicated to studying

I worked part time last semester, two days a week but really long days and only took two classes (both science). It worked out pretty well for me. Next semester I am only work one day a week since I am going to three classes, all sciences again. I had the advantage of having a good amount of downtime at my gig so I could study. I don't think it would have worked out as well if I had to wait tables. I suggest taking only one or two courses if you need to work, don't overload.

Hi there. If it makes you feel better, I am working in a non-medical field (bartending) because it allows me to work 2 nights (Friday and Saturday) and pull in the income of working 5 days per week. So 16 hours of work that is fun and fast-paced for full time $= I can afford post-bacc and still have time to study, volunteer, shadow, etc. Its easy to give up shift around finals if I need more time to study cause the new people want those shifts. Find what works for you, your schooling and your bills.