working nights only

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trollwitchdoctr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it always easy to arrange this type of schedule?

Does opting for this type of schedule make you a more attractive job candidate?

Would you automatically earn a higher salary?

Members don't see this ad.

The answer to all 3 questions is "maybe...it depends." It could certainly help you get a job in a competitive market and if a group has a shift differential for nights, then working all nights will bump your salary. In some places it may be to your benefit to work all nights, in others it will have no benefit.

Nights seem to be easier on the soul! The people are always nicer it seems, nurses, techs, and less suits. If you work at a low volume place or medium volume place, the reward for nights can be simply the fact that you get to slow down and relax at some points on many nights. You get to get out on time more times than not. Some groups will pay a premium and some will just give you a guaranteed hourly so that you don't drop your pay for nights if you are normally RVU based. I work 3/4 nights and love it.

Matt

Members don't see this ad :)
Mostly, I just don't want to have to change my circadian rhythm so often. Call me crazy, but I think working all nights would grant me some rare stability in the field of EM. Plus, I'm already a night owl.

Thanks for all the advice, guys!

Nights seem to be easier on the soul! The people are always nicer it seems, nurses, techs, and less suits. If you work at a low volume place or medium volume place, the reward for nights can be simply the fact that you get to slow down and relax at some points on many nights. You get to get out on time more times than not. Some groups will pay a premium and some will just give you a guaranteed hourly so that you don't drop your pay for nights if you are normally RVU based. I work 3/4 nights and love it.
Matt

agree with all of above. I work mostly nights and get both more $/hr and a higher bonus/pt for doing so. the production bonus rates are set at 1.5x for nights because they assume we will see fewer pts.
we also have an oncall room and can sleep if it's slow or watch a movie with the night crew, etc
definitely the way to go. I sleep when my kids are at school and whenever they are home and awake so am I.

I wouldn't advise nights straight out of residency. You won't know where a single thing is, let alone normal ED processes.

If you decide on nights, make sure you know what you're getting in to. A slow night time ED is one thing, but a busy one is really not worth it. You have to figure out average night time volumes before you commit.

I wouldn't advise nights straight out of residency. You won't know where a single thing is, let alone normal ED processes.

In theory, the "process" shouldn't change. Granted, getting someone to the cath lab is not as fast, and surgical subspecialties are only available by phone, but still.

I don't think that anyone "straight out of residency" is any less prepared than someone years out of residency. It just takes time in whatever environment you work in.

I've taken a nights only job straight out of residency, but the first month they have me on mostly days so that I'm working with another doc and can learn the ins and outs of the facility.

jessica29 said:
Night shift work are really hard to maintain. But I think this time is easy to work. No extra sound pollution,no traffic. Everything is quite and calm. So night schedule is preferable.

Open the pod bay doors, HAL.

Last edited:
Night shift work are really hard to maintain. But I think this time is easy to work. No extra sound pollution,no traffic. Everything is quite and calm. So night schedule is preferable.

They're gonna TOS you for advertising, better get rid of it

Last edited by a moderator:
I also work nights by preference. Less administrative PITAs (what admin will be up in the middle of the night). Also usually more easy going staff. I have a differential at both my jobs, so that helps too.

Should also add that my night shift preference helped me get in with my academic job; most of the group is "older" and very happy to have a younger physician take the brunt of their night shifts. Plus, leaves daytime to do teaching/research/etc.

Overall, if you're already a night person, and don't do well with micromanaging, then nights may be an excellent choice.

Just my $0.02

One of my co-residents is looking for a job west LA/santa barbara area - selling himself by saying he wants to work nights. Says he heard back immediately from both Cedars-Sinai and Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital asking when they could look at putting him on the schedule.

one of my EM attendings works Mon, Tues, Wed night shifts (10p-8a) and gets the rest of the week off