Working nights and No weekends

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agr285

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be graduating from residency in 2014 and am starting to think about jobs. I'm from Chicago and would like to move back but what 3rd years in my program have been telling me, the pay is less and the legal environment sucks. Im young, single, no family obligations, and am looking to work nights. Anyone know if its feasible to find a job in Souther Wisconsin or Northern Indiana where I could would work nights for the group but not work any weekends, or is this just a pipe dream. I really just want to have my weekends free so I can be back in Chicago.

Members don't see this ad.

You could come work with me in Central Florida, and I could certainly set you up on a Tues-Wed-Thurs, + every other Monday night schedule or something like that. You offer to work nights, and a lot of places will let you make your schedule. Not everywhere, and I can't say I'd ever practice somewhere a)that cold or b) with that crappy malpractice environment (and don't start about Florida, because my group has Sovereign Immunity), but offering to work nights opens up a lot of doors

And you just fly back and forth. :)

Live where you want to live and accept its limitations. Live modestly. Or live somewhere high paying and accept the boonies. Or compromise. Working somewhere and living somewhere else distant may be feasible in the short term, but it the long term it's unlikely you will be happy always going back & forth. Simplify your life.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could come work with me in Central Florida, and I could certainly set you up on a Tues-Wed-Thurs, + every other Monday night schedule or something like that. You offer to work nights, and a lot of places will let you make your schedule. Not everywhere, and I can't say I'd ever practice somewhere a)that cold or b) with that crappy malpractice environment (and don't start about Florida, because my group has Sovereign Immunity), but offering to work nights opens up a lot of doors

And you just fly back and forth. :)

Come to Texas. It's like Chicago in every possible way and you could join one of our docs that only does Mon-Thurs overnights.

Live where you want to live and accept its limitations. Live modestly. Or live somewhere high paying and accept the boonies. Or compromise. Working somewhere and living somewhere else distant may be feasible in the short term, but it the long term it's unlikely you will be happy always going back & forth. Simplify your life.

Do you have personal experience with living one place and working in another state? I have been offered such a position (work 10 days consecutively and off the rest of the month). I am seriously considering this. Anyone try this? Did it get old?

dchristismi,

How about in 2016 I just fly you to wherever I'll be practicing and you can assume Director role? Call it your "Winter wonderland" job..or perhaps more to your train of though..."Case Study in SAD."